Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400 ex vs.banshee

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2002 | 10:40 PM
Range Rover

PCbanshee we all know where your pulling those numbers from so pull your pants up!!! You would need thousands of dollars into a 400ex motor to produce 50 RWHP. And as for a piped, jetted, and K&N Filtered Banshee your looking at around 45hp *NOT* 75hp. GT Thunder had a whole bunch of Dynos up at one time and these are legit numbers not fairytale numbers your cousins cousin told your best buddy's aunts uncle.

Edit

A fully moded 440ex put out 36RWHP
A Piped mildy modded shee put out 42RWHP
A Piped mildy modded shee with 36mm carbs put out49RWHP

Mac

Old 04-10-2002 | 11:17 PM
Pro Rider

<< PCbanshee we all know where your pulling those numbers from so pull your pants up!!! You would need thousands of dollars into a 400ex motor to produce 50 RWHP. And as for a piped, jetted, and K&amp;N Filtered Banshee your looking at around 45hp *NOT* 75hp. GT Thunder had a whole bunch of Dynos up at one time and these are legit numbers not fairytale numbers your cousins cousin told your best buddy's aunts uncle.

Edit

A fully moded 440ex put out 36RWHP
A Piped mildy modded shee put out 42RWHP
A Piped mildy modded shee with 36mm carbs put out49RWHP

Mac
>>

I have to (for the most part) with ChrisMac.
I have run against some prety hopped up 400EX's, and even a couple of 440EX's.
Neither was pushing 50 RWHP.
Probably closer to 40-45.

Also most piped, slightly modified Banshees aren't pushing 75 RWHP either.
It can be done, but they are HEAVILY modified. Of course, a good motor builder with an awesome port job, increased compression, shaved head, advanced timing , etc probably could reach around 70-75 RWHP, it is NOT common to see these.

For example, my friend has a 99 Banshee with K&amp;N, T-5 Toomeys, timing advance, and shaved head with pretty high compression. If I remember the numbers correctly, it wash pushing about 52 RWHP.

With that said, from MY experience on the dunes, a totally tricked out 400-440EX could hang with a MODERATELY built Banshee (as in pipes, Filter, carbs, etc)

I know that my 330R was pushing ~ 47 RWHP, and I could beat a stock Banshee with ease. However, when I raced my friend with the 99 Banshee set up as described earlier in this post, we were just about dead even.

This is not something I have &quot;heard, or read&quot;, but from real life experience, and I know it to be true.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-11-2002 | 12:23 AM
Pro Rider

I have to go back to what another member said earlier on it this post....The author does not state where the race would be held.

If it's a straight line drag, then the Banshee would probably not have a problem beating the EX. I'm not dissing the Honda....It's simple....the EX was not built to be a drag bike. If it was, it would be a 2 stroke big bore with no attention paid to the suspension.

Now if you are talking about an MX track...Well...it's a toss up. There is no right or wrong answer to that. Even if you say &quot;with riders of equal ability&quot; you can't get an answer. Heck, you could take the same rider doing time trials and let's say he ran a 35 second lap with the Banshee, and a 30 second lap with the EX. Does that mean that the EX is faster? No!!! It just means that it's the better quad for that rider. Who knows, you could take another guy (remember, everyone is different), and he could do the total opposite and run the faster time with the Banshee.

The only way you can get an honest answer is if you could find somebody that could ride each quad at 100% (no less). Personally, I don't know anybody that can ride at 100%, 100% of the time.

Just my opinion on this.

-Josh

Old 04-11-2002 | 12:26 AM
Pro Rider

Right Josh.
I was simply stating my experience with both on the dunes.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-11-2002 | 05:37 AM
Range Rover

If the Banshee has traction, then bye..bye...400ex or 440ex.