Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

lift kit, hard on drivetrain?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2002, 11:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, it is a little too late for me to ask this since I have already gotten the lift kit. But I have heard that they will put more strain on your cv joints, diffs, etc. I am sure this is true if you have excessively larger tires and the lift, but I have heard mixed stories. On my Foreman i have 25" 589's and the lift. I have owned several Honda's in the past (Big Red, 300 4x4, which are still running just given to the other members of the family) and have never had major problems other than routine maintanance. So I guess what I am asking is if this will greatly depreciate the life of the atv? If so then that lift is GONE! Only because that Foreman is a great atv and I don't really want to buy another one anytime soon. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 04-14-2002, 12:02 AM
The Facility

Our dealership had a meeting with a Honda Service Representative two years ago about this very subject.

We used to sell lift kits in our store for the Foremans and BigBears. It was unreal at how many of the Foreman 450s came back with broken rear drive shafts. There wasn't a problem with the fronts. Only the rears. The problem is only on the 450 Foremans. Honda put longer shocks on the 450s to make it sit higher than the 400s. The tires also add to this, but that doesn't affect the problem. The 450's rear drive shaft is already at the steepest angle available for safe operation. Regardless of what you read on these advertiser's web-sites, it WILL break at some point.

Honda sent bulletins to their dealers last year explaining why the problem existed for the 450s and not the 400s. If you have a lift kit on a 450 or a 400 Foreman, your warranty is void!!!!!!!

I wouldn't recommend it. You are safer by going to taller tires since this doesn't affect the rear drive shaft angle.

Old 04-14-2002, 11:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

This is a great reply. Thanks for your honest answer. I own a 450ES Forman and by no means would I install a lift kit on my ATV. I have plenty of room for larger tires. I use my ATV more for hunting than anything else. I have owned my ATV since 1999 and have found no faults at all with this machine. I enjoy reading the entrys on these forums but tend to find that most of these people seem to have more money than they do common sense. But again this is only my opinion.

Old 04-15-2002, 10:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks KNOWSALOT. I know that the 450's already have plenty more lift than the 400 does stock. Since the 400 is lower, would that cause the same problems as the 450 (angle on the rear shaft) when lifted, have you seen or heard any problems? Thanks.

And Totschb, I respect your for giving your opinion, but I think what everyone does with THEIR money is THEIR business. Also what they use THEIR atv for (i.e. mudding, hunting, fishing, trails, etc.) is the reason they got it. When I started this topic I was looking for persons with experience with the lift so I could make my decision. If you want to talk about how in your opinion some people have more money than common sense then start a new topic. I am sure that will be a good one.

Old 04-15-2002, 12:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well I sure didn't mean to step on any toes but it sounds as though thats what I have done. You asked for opinions, you received one.

Old 04-15-2002, 02:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well 400Mudder ... Your question asked for opinions. I gave my opinion as you asked. If it stepped on your toes like it sounds as though it did don't ask for others opinions. And when it comes down to the more money than common sense matter .... If the shoe fits you'll have to wear it ... wont you. If not than that statement doesn't concern you.

450ES
2500 Warn Winch
Warn Bumper

Old 04-16-2002, 01:39 AM
The Facility

Eaaaaaaasssssssssyyyyyyyy guys.

400mudder,

I have never seen a drive shaft on the rear of a 400 break with or without a lift kit. I can only assume that the 400 was included within that bulletin as a precaution. A 400 with a lift kit has about the same rear drive shaft angle as a 450 does stock due to it's longer shocks.

Lift away fellow ATVer.