Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400ex vs. Scrambler 500

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-1999, 08:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am thinking about buying a 400ex or a Scrambler500 and I am trying to decide. I would like to hear from people who have one of these (espically if you ride with both quads) and I would like to know who wins the drag race.

Old 11-23-1999, 10:04 PM
Range Rover

All in all which one wins the drag race is really not that important. The honest truth is that there are certain things the Scrambler 500 does better and there are certain things the Honda 400 does better. It all depends on you and what exactly you want in your quad. When you figure that out you will have your answer. Good luck! CT 00 Scrambler 500

Old 11-24-1999, 10:02 AM
Pro Rider

I was out last sunday riding. There was a guy with a very new Scrambler 500, with a supertrapp exhaust and a clutch kit. He could only make it 3/4 of the way up a hill I could climb all the way with my stock 400EX. This was a crushed rock hill that is about 200 feet high. The scrambler would be better than the 400EX on a muddy, rocky, tree covered hill that requires slower speeds or crawling over log type power.
Here is an older picture of the hill:

If you like hardcore thrashing around and jumping and stuff the 400EX is best. If you like enjoying the woods, or pulling 400EX's out of mud holes, the Scrambler is best.

Phil

[This message has been edited by philzie (edited 11-24-1999).]

Old 11-24-1999, 03:54 PM
Range Rover

I draged a 400ex and it beat me in the 100 yard runs but i beat it in the 75 yard ones. but then i could beat him on the real long runs. the 400ex is really nice and it has a realy good midrange compared to my scrambler but the ex was not stock. i think i will be able to beat him when i get my fmf and a bigger carb

both of then are really nice machines

------------------
99 500 scrambler with hotseat pipe and clutch dg bumper soon to have pistons and air box mod 93 yamaha t-wolve with a broken taillight soon to be fixed tailight is now fixed now need to fix headlight

Old 11-24-1999, 06:11 PM
Pro Rider

Basicaly, do you need 4x4? If not, go for the 400ex. If 4x4 isn't important you probaly end up wishing you bought the 400ex.

I like them both, and came close to buying a 400 myself, but bought 500 instead simply because of the 4x4. I would prefer a manual clutch, light weight, better handling machine, but I will take 4x4 over all that anyday, for MY TYPE of riding. I would love to have a 400ex as a second quad though.

That seems wierd to me that the Scrambler couldn't climb that hill. What was the problem, did end up just spinning? Was he in 4wd? If he was in 2wd I understand, the lighter more powerful 400 would outclimb him, but in 4wd he shouldn't have any traction problems.

On that hill, on your 400ex, were you using mostly low-end power and torque or could you get enough momentum to use top end?

Is it <A HREF="http://www.uslink.net/~philzie/twelveb.jpg">this</A> same hill?

[This message has been edited by quad_man (edited 11-24-1999).]

Old 11-25-1999, 10:20 PM
Range Rover

Good question- i cant think of any possible reason why a 400ex could make it and Scrambler 500 could not. Personally i think the 500 is a better all around hill climber

Old 11-26-1999, 10:08 AM
Pro Rider

guys,
I agree my Scrambler 400 has made it on hills my brothers 400EX never did. But hey anything is possible & it depends on the rider too.
c-ya,

------------------
Andrew Thomas

'99 Scrambler 400 & '99 Trailblazer, both with RCR mods.

Trending Topics

Old 11-26-1999, 05:01 PM
Trailblazer

I had the same decision about 6 weeks ago. I looked at the Wolverine (my friend bought it), the Warrior (my brother bought a 2000), a Scrambler 500 (my borther bought a 2000) and the 400ex. After riding them all, here are my conlusions and I think my brothers and friends would agree. The Wolverine will go just about anywhere and the 4 wheel drive can be nice, but full time 4 wheel drive equals no fun, It is the least exciting of all the quads although it has it's place in mud holes. The warrior is a nice quad, predictacle, fun, capable, but not superior at anything. The Scrambler 500 is kind of a compromise of everything and does most things very well. It is fast, a bit high, 4 wheel drive when you need it, plush suspension, but heavy, it can jump but it is tough getting this beast to fly, at 540 lbs. it is the heaviest quad of the bunch by more than 60 lbs. Lastly, the 400ex, which is what I bought. It is really fast, the best suspension of the bunch, the lightest of the bunch (160 lbs. lighter than the Scrambler 500), a great jumper, lots of fun, no reverse, I go just about everywhere they do and have lots of fun kicking the rear end out, popping wheelies and such. As far as drag racing, the Scrambler 500 won't beat the 400 ex in a 25 yard, 50 yard, 100 yard, or 2000 yard race, well if you are on real loose stuff he might win the 25 yard one with his 4wd. Honestly, we are brothers so we are very competitive and race often, the Scrambler 500 is always behind, not by much mind you unless there is lots of room, the top end end on the 400ex kills the Scrambler. The Warrior is behind the Scrambler at least a couple quad lengths at 100 yards and the Wolverine is another 3 or 4 behind the Warrior. All our machines are stock. I am happy with my purchase and would by it again, my brother are always asking to ride it, I havn'y once asked them to ride their's, I really like it. All that said, I think they are all great quads (well except for the Wolverine, it is just not very fun, that's all). If you really need 4wd, get the Scrambler, if not the 400ex is a great choice. We all have a great time every time we ride, so the important thing is to get out there, get one, and get riding!

Old 11-26-1999, 08:59 PM
Trailblazer

I have owned a 400 scrambler ,this is another thing to think about. The scramblers both weight around 540 lbs,but that is a dry weight... plus the 4 galons of fuel and other misc. fluids your talking almost 600!!! If you are hauling it, thats something to think about. If you are looking at any other quads think 4-STROKE. I now have a 400ex , I sold the scrambler because I wanted something that had better suspention ,morepower , better handling, and RELIABILITY. Also the polaris's are not easy to work on at all!!!

Old 11-26-1999, 10:07 PM
Range Rover

Leave the reliability issue out of the equation. The reason i say that is both quads are very reliable and you should make your decision based on how you plan to ride.

Quick Reply: 400ex vs. Scrambler 500