Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Raptor or 400ex?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2002, 05:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Selling my foreman for something else, raptor, 400ex, I cant decide.
I cant get a cannondale or a ds650, too much money and too big. the raptor and the 400ex have been the major choices. I have some questions, because I know nothing about these machines.

What would win in a drag?
Better for woods?
Better mxer?
Better suspention?
Better handling?
Faster?
Easier maintaince?
Chain adjustment?
More fun?
Easier to wheelie?
Easier ballancing point?
Which is just the overall better quad?
Reliability?
Brakes?
Cheaper $?
Cheaper parts?
Better customer service?

Ill tell you what the terrain is like. I live in the country, on a dirt road, there are farms all around, there are some trails, plenty of forests, and lots of open roads to ride on because the cops dont care, guess whos a cop... Mud, there is no mud here in the summer, but in the winter, we get snow! but im sure both the quads will be fine, because my friends bigred can get through it. Water crossing: not really, about 1 - 1 1/2 ft of water for streams. Woods: yep, lots of those where I live, but theyre not tight as heck, theyre loose, but still a little tight, man made trails are abundant here but THERE ARE MANY IF YOU LOOK! Last week I went for a 10mile trip and there were so many quads it was unbelievable. Highways: usually people do 60-70mph, or 100km-120km tops down the highways. Pulling stuff: Im not sure if I should get a utility, because I dont NEED to pull anything with me, but if I go to my friends farm, he might need an extra helper. Racks: I know neither of these have racks, but maybe I should get a utility? For a riding trip i would probobly just take my backpack. The only utility im considering is the 02 Bigbear 4x4, but it goes too slow for my aggressive style?

PS - Can the 400ex or raptor instantly wheelie with a push of the gas?

Thanks, greatly appreciated.

Raptor=reverse, power, speed.
400ex=reliable, brakes, handling.
i just cant choose.

Old 04-19-2002, 05:58 PM
Pro Rider

The Cannibal is only $500 more than the Raptor, and imho, twice as good of a quad. I would put money down on the new 'Zuki, I just went to their site and they have a spec comparison. Lower seat heigh than the 400! Everything else nearly the same as the 400, but reverse and liquid cooling and probably alot stronger motor. They're ugly(imho) but I would rather have that over anything else the japs have out right now.

Old 04-19-2002, 06:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To answer your questions:
Raptor
?
Raptor
?
400(better reliability = more riding without worring about it breaking = more fun)
400 I think the gearing is better
400 is a proven reliable design, the Raptor is still teething.
customer service is more of a dealer by dealer issue, however I hear a lot of Raptor owners screaming about Yamaha not fixing their tranny.

these are just my opinions, and remember, opinions are like buttholes, everybody has one[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
good luck and enjoy the ride

Old 04-19-2002, 07:39 PM
Pro Rider

get the z400 or the 400ex, that is what i would do if i could do it again

Old 05-17-2002, 12:10 AM
Range Rover

Get a 400ex, or cannondale. the cannondale is A W E S O M E!!!!!!!. You'd love it. The 400 is not as good as the cannondale, but it's the second best bike i've ever ridden(including the c-dale).

Old 05-22-2002, 10:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

a 400ex is 10 x's better and is just the crap

Old 05-22-2002, 10:52 PM
Pro Rider

They are very similar to ride, other than the Raptor having ALOT more power and reverse. I cannot really tell any difference between them in handling or braking, but the 400 is alot better on extremely slow, tight trails, you just can't putt along at an idle on the Raptor like the 400 can. Unless you really want to go fast or have to have reverse, the 400 may be a better buy for you as it can be found for about $1200 less than the Raptor brand new. The new Suzuki Z400 may be worth waiting for also, it looks to be an inbetween model having reverse without all the power or the pricetag of the Raptor.

Old 05-23-2002, 12:30 AM
Pro Rider

copguy you got your replies are you happy now? Geez,you already put up two topics,on "raptor 400EX better suspension?" And "do you have any regrets with your raptor?" And some others I can't remember right now. If you want a powerful liquid cooled engine with reverse,take the raptor. If you want a big, bad, air cooled, trail machine take the Ex.

Old 05-23-2002, 07:36 PM
Trailblazer

Thrust you better cool down a little.They guy cant decide what he wants.He likes the raptor but he heard a lot about the 400ex.Do get p.o ed at they guy just because he asks questions.

Old 05-23-2002, 09:55 PM
Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Raptor or 400ex?