Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

High Performance Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2002, 06:03 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im looking to get a pipe for my Rancher. im looking at either the FMF megamax or the supertrapp. i like the FMF because when im riding around my house i can have the quiet core in. does anyone else have a Megamax with the Quiet core? is it loud? i dont want it to be any (or much) louder then stock. but when i want it loud, i want to just be able to switch the core. im not going to get the whole system..just the silencer. i also noticed that the supertrapp pipe has a quiet core. is its core quieter then the Fmf one? can i change the sound from quiet to loud when ever i want? also, how hard is it to rejet the carb with a new pipe? how much does it cost? i will try to rejet it myself. i have never messed w/ a quad carb before so how hard will it be?

Old 04-22-2002, 12:17 PM
Pro Rider

All my utilities have MegaMax and K&N's. The pipes are moderately loud, but not terrible (using 6 discs). For me, using the quiet core just takes you back to the stock pipe. If you are going to do that, just save your money and stick with stock.

Old 04-22-2002, 04:03 PM
Range Rover

im planning on using all disks and quiet core while riding around the house. but when i go somewhere where sound doesn't matter, im going to run about 3 disks and no quiet core. when you say it takes you back to the stock pipe, do you mean in power or sound?

Old 04-22-2002, 06:14 PM
Pro Rider

First of all, you aren't going to be able to change the number of discs much without a rejet. Going from 12 to 3 is a big jump, and the bike will run richer which will negate any performance gains you are trying to achieve. And don't make the mistake of jetting at 3 then going to 12, because the bike will then run lean (bad for you engine!!).

Running FEWER discs favors low end torque (and it is quieter), and running MORE discs favors top end speed (12 is wickedly loud!). I run 6 for a happy medium, and no quiet core. The quiet core is just a pipe (near the end) that necks down the exhaust diameter making it smaller, thus mufling it more. Of course, the quiet core causes back pressure and changes performance. You have to balance what you want to achieve. For example, 12 discs and a quiet core might be the same as fewer discs and no quiet core, etc.

When I said you return to stock with the quiet core, I was refering to BOTH sound and power. If sound is a major problem, the stock unit isn't all that bad, and you already paid for it!!

Old 04-22-2002, 07:34 PM
Range Rover

how many disks can i run if i want it to be quiet and then change the number to make it louder w/o rejeting?

Old 04-23-2002, 12:59 PM
Pro Rider

I havn't tried messing with the number of discs yet. Although, I have been considering this because I live at low altitude, but frequently ride at up to 10,000 ft. I am considering adding a couple discs as I go up in altitude (but it WILL GET LOUDER!). This would be a sort of crude rejet. Anything like this has to be done with care though, because you are leaning out the mixture, which can ruin an engine if you go to far!!