Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

what are the best 400EX shocks

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2000, 10:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey everyone, this is the first time I have posted a question. I bought a 99 400ex about 3 weeks ago. I have primarily bought this Quad to race in the local (Arkansas)hare scrambles. I love the bike, after I only rode it one time before I raced it and cleaned up in the AM's and beat every pro but one. What I have found to be my biggest problem is that the shocks don't work well enough and it needs a steering damper. I am 6'5 and 220lbs so I do tend to put a strain on the bike. What I would like from you guys is some honest (from experience) suggestions on what steering damper and shocks to look at, price is a consideration also. I have been looking at the Works Triple Rate springs.

Thanks guys

Old 03-01-2000, 04:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, you are probably going to get a bunch of opinions on this so keep in mind that they are just that..opinions.I's suggest that you make use of the search button & do a search under suspension, or simply shocks. You'll find more info that you ever would need.
In my case I'm running TCS shocks on my Warrior from CTRacing & I find them excellent for desert & XC. I also use a damper from PEP. It has three adjustment settings which more than cover anything I run across. In fact I've settled on the center adjustment fo all round use.You might think about some after market bars also to relieve arm pump & upperbody fatigue on long loops. a good set af aluminum bars will be an excellent addition to new shocks & steering damper.
If you should decide to go with CTS, (CTRacing.com)
the guys at CT will do a profile on you as to your weight, riding style, & skill level in order to set up the shocks specifcally for you. It's best not to over state your skill level as it could result in the wrong valving and/or spring rates. They also will do a free revalving within 30 days if you aren't satisfied.
BTW, the PEP dampener is about $90 & the TCS's are $650. Not cheap, but way less than some.