Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Buying a 450S

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2002, 03:05 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for feedback on the 450 Foreman S. I already have a Rubicon, and the Traxlok feature is the biggest selling point. My wife will ride the Ruby and I'll take the 450 S. How does the 450 compare to the Rubicon? Is top speed a lot slower? My Rubicon will do an indicated 54 mph on a good day. I'm expecting the ride to be a little stiffer, but that's ok unless it's really noticable. Any likes or dislikes would be appreciated.

Old 04-24-2002, 01:38 AM
Pro Rider

I've raved about the 450S in this forum a few times. My '98 is relatively slow (maybe 50 tops), but I don't ride it too many places wide open anyway. The new ones have 2/4wd and lockable front diff. The motor makes massive torque. The suspension is stiff. The machine is tough and reliable. I've gone with 26" Dirt Devils for a little more clearance, traction and especially puncture resistance. It is especially handy for towing my Polaris when it breaks miles from the truck. I think you'll like it, but it is no Lamborghini. More like a Hummer.

Old 04-24-2002, 10:27 AM
Trailblazer

scosho, thanks for replying. I guess I'm looking at the 450 S because I want a simple, reliable, tough atv. Not that my Rubicon hasn't been reliable, I have over 2000 miles on it and nothing has gone wrong. It's just the idea that someday something is going to break, and it might be expensive. I was just wondering about the speed issue because I read a article from '98 where they said they only got to 44 mph with the 450. I don't want to have to wind it out in order to keep pace with the Rubicon. I know the Rancher will keep up, and if it had switchable 2wd/4wd I'd definately get the Rancher. But, since I'm not going to wait, I'll probably end up getting the 450 S.

Old 04-24-2002, 10:44 AM
Pro Rider

Just a correction on scosho's post. The hondas have no diff lock option. You can buy an aftermarket kit but they don't come with one.

Old 04-24-2002, 12:45 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was told last week by my dealer that the Rancher will not have trax-lock. It would raise the price and Honda doesn't want to do that. The Honda Rancher is the best selling ATV in the US. For 2001, Honda ATV sales were 32.7% of all ATV sales in the US. My dealer told me that over 60% of the Ranchers he sells are the 4-WD ES model. We have a 01 Rubicon and bought a 02 Rancher ES 4-WD and it is a blast to ride. I went with the ES for my daughters and I think it is alot easier to shift when in a bad spot, like climbing a steep hill and needing to down shift, the button seems easier than a foot shifter. Thats just me though, my 5.0 Mustang is an automatic too.

Have fun and enjoy![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-24-2002, 03:43 PM
Trailblazer

I figured it would make to much sense to give the Rancher Traxlok. After all, they're selling all they can make, right? The Rancher would suit me just fine, but I really want the Traxlok option, so I'm going to go with the 450. As far as shifting goes, I love the Rubicon, but I grew up riding Honda 3-wheelers and it might be weird but I miss shifting with my foot. Thanks for your input! I like to hear people's reasoning behind their purchases.

Old 04-24-2002, 03:46 PM
Pro Rider

From what I hear all of the '03 models from Honda will have the 2wd/4wd option. But NONE of them will have the diff lock feature. I'm not sure when you say TraxLoc if your thinking differential lock or just 2wd/4wd.

Trending Topics

Old 04-25-2002, 10:04 AM
Trailblazer

Maybe I should wait and see what the '03 models will be like. I really do like the Rancher, and if it does have 2wd/4wd, it would be between the Rancher and the Foreman. Although, around here, the Foreman is usually only a couple hundred dollars more than the Rancher. Decisions, decisions!

Old 04-25-2002, 10:10 AM
Pro Rider

Think about this. When my buddy gets his Rancher stuck in the mud or snow it is so damn easy to get out, you just lift it out. But when I get my 500i stuck its not going to move very far by hand. Now the 450s is not as heavy as my 500i but it will still be heavier to get out. Its just a great feeling to know that you don't need a winch to get out with the rancher.

Old 04-25-2002, 10:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

My opinion on the 450 Foreman is it a good, dependable 4x4. It is not that fast I have only been able to get mine up 50mph but I don't think it is supposed to be. I have rode a Rancher and although it may have the Foreman a little bit on the top end it did not have nearly as much torque as the Foreman. It has incredible pulling power for jobs around the house..I use mine to pull boat trailor into place in the yard. Sorry for the long past..just my opinion

Quick Reply: Buying a 450S