Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400ex vs. 500 scrambler

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2002, 11:11 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you think is the best?I like the 500 scrambler because of its 4 w. dr. capability and the reverse and you cant forget the power.

Old 05-07-2002, 01:00 PM
Pro Rider

Ummmm....it's kind of like comparing Apples to Oranges. The 400ex is small, nimble, quick and has a great suspension for the track, and the Scrammy is big, not so nimble, pretty quick, and does not have good suspension for jumps or on the track. You can also go into how one is an auto and the other is a manual, but that is pretty obvious.

Personally for the riding I do (trail and sport) I would probably go with the 400ex because I like jumping and goofing off like that. But that's just my opinion...you can't just say "which quad is better" unless you know what the person riding it is going to be doing with it.

I don't ride ATV's just for the beauty of the scenery or anything like that...I ride them to have fun. I enjoy trail riding, but I would rather have a more sporty bike than one that is better on the trails.

Now with that said, my opinion is strictly that..."my" opinion. I can tell you that a Scrambler (even the 2x4 model) will be better overall on the trails than a 400ex (given that these trails are like the ones that we have here...80% slow going with lots of obstacles).

The 400ex would be better on the track or for doing fun little sport riding. Don't get me wrong, the Scrambler is "sporty" in it's own way when you compare it to other big quads, but it's not in the same league as the 400ex. It is also pretty quick, but Stock for Stock the 400ex should have a higher top end.

So all in all, if I had the choice between the two I would pick the 400ex because I don't mind giving up the trailability to have a more sporty bike...call me shallow...that is just the way I am.

However, if you asked the question as to wheter I would choose the 400ex or the 400 Scrambler (2x4 or 4x4) I would probably then go with the Scrambler...It would be a tough choice. You see, I also like flat out speed and for a little bit of cash you can mod that 400 Polaris engine and make it fly. You for less than $1000 you can have a Scrambler that is beating Piped Banshee's and Raptors bottom through top...The 400ex is another story.

It would be a good idea for you to put down what type of riding you do that way we can give you more relevant opinions.

Also, for the users who say Polaris ATV's are not reliable...All I can say is that Yes, I have heard the horror stories as well. However, in the two years that I owned my Polaris it gave my no problems at all. Take that as you will.

-Josh

Old 05-07-2002, 01:38 PM
Trailblazer

You have to be joking when you compare the 400ex to the Scrambler 500. I agree with Piranha it is like comparing apples to oranges. Seriously, the 400ex is by far, I mean without even kidding by far clear the better of the two machines.

The two machines aren't even comparable at all no matter what. They don't even come close to being in the same class. The 400ex is light-weight, awesome handling and suspension, overall great power and is by far the most reliable machine out there. On the other hand the Scrambler weighs almost 600 pounds, is 4 wheel drive, and has terrible handling/suspension and is way underpowered. I don't understand how you could compare a 4x4 to a high performance sport quad.

The only way that the Scrambler would perform better over the 400ex is in really deep thick mud due to the fact that the Scrambler has both 4-wheel drive and reverse and the 400ex doesn't. On the other hand, the 400ex will run away and hide from the Scrambler in any other competition including MX, trail riding, dunes, top speed, torgue, suspension, and anything else that I may have forgotten.

A lot of Scrambler owners say that there Poop-laris quads are faster top-end wise than a 400ex. There is absolutely no way in hell that is true. Even if it was, that would mean that the Scrambler is almost as fast or even a little bit faster than a Raptor or a Banshee. The reason why I say that is because both the Raptor and the Banshee are about 2-3 bike lengths faster than a 400ex. So, in essense, that would have to mean that the Scrambler is right up there with both the Raptor and Banshee. Dirt Wheels has tested all 4 machines together many times and the results have never proved that the Scrambler is faster than a 400ex and almost as fast as a Banshee or a Raptor. The Scrambler always finshed way behind in the back of the pack.

Fourtracker14

Old 05-07-2002, 02:24 PM
Pro Rider

well by your name i take it you prolly like to play in the mud, if your gonna be playing in the mud, you dont want a 400EX, a 400EX is for people who like to go fast. If you gonna play in the mud get the Scrambler cause the 400 aint got the ground clearence to be in the mud, you will be stuck every lil rise over 3 1/2 inches you hit, i know this cause i have this happen to me just about everytime i go riding!!

Old 05-07-2002, 05:52 PM
Pro Rider

<< well by your name i take it you prolly like to play in the mud, if your gonna be playing in the mud, you dont want a 400EX, a 400EX is for people who like to go fast. >>

I agree 100%.

<< Seriously, the 400ex is by far, I mean without even kidding by far clear the better of the two machines. >>

This is true for some things, but false for others. As mentioned above, talking about mud and extreme terrain the Polaris is better. Don't get me wrong though, my friend has a 300ex and it is sufficient. The good thing about all sport quads is that they are light and getting un-stuck usually is only a one man job so it's really not a big deal.

<< On the other hand the Scrambler weighs almost 600 pounds, is 4 wheel drive, and has terrible handling/suspension and is way underpowered. >>

I haven't drive the 500, but stock for stock I have heard that they are very close performance wise with the 400 Scrambler. I know I wouldn't call mine &quot;underpowered&quot;, but it deffinatly did have some untapped potential. I wouldn't say that top speed on them is faster than a 400ex, but I bet it is within 5mph, and I bet on take off they are very close. My Sport stock would take my buddies Banshee in a 100 yard race or so on pavement.

Also, Like I said before...If you were to be talking about the Polaris 400 you can make it faster than the EX with a couple of different mods on it pretty easily. Plus when comparing the list price of the two...the money you save on the Scrambler 400 ($800 list price) you can easily mod it to beat the EX in a straight line (and you will suprise a lot of Banshee and Raptor owners too). However, that doesn't do you much good on the track. Anyway, up this way most battles are done in a straight line.

On the other hand, the 400ex is not a straight line dragger and it has never tried to be.

I'm just pointing out to the original poster of this question that it really depends on how he is going to ride it. Without knowing that we cannot say which is better.

-Josh

Old 05-07-2002, 06:32 PM
Trailblazer

The scrambler sounds goos for p;aying aroun,I saw one on a track and it goes fast.

Old 05-07-2002, 06:36 PM
Trailblazer

And if you dont care about spped and you want to go play in mud then get the trx250ex.

Old 05-07-2002, 08:00 PM
Pro Rider

My friend has a '99 400 Scr. and another has a '00 400ex. The EX was def. faster in a drag by a few lengths (maybe 3). Top end though I think the scrm. does edge it out by a few mph.

Old 05-07-2002, 08:41 PM
Trailblazer

Listen i havent checked out the top speed for any one of the two . i am going on the trails i have went through to test hte two.The polaris has went faster on the trails probably because it is ment for off roading but the 400 usually goes slower on it.I dont know why but the 500 fells faster.

Old 05-07-2002, 11:52 PM
Pro Rider

not to bash your guys opinions , im NOT a polaris fan but i have to give them credit....they have excellent suspension, not that the 400ex doesnt, but come on....

and i do believe than the scrambler is just a tad faster on the top end than the 400ex also

later
pismoguy

Quick Reply: 400ex vs. 500 scrambler