Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Clutch Question?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2002, 04:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK here goes, before I put in a new piston and rings, mt clutch wroked just fine. Then after I got it all together again, I tried suing the clutch and when I shifted into first it jumped and died. I was told that the oil (Castrol Syntec Blend 10W40) had some sort of energy conserving additives that amde the clutch plates stick together. I took them apart and cleaned them and they are'nt sticking anymore, and when I pull the lever they would spread apart, but it still isn't working right. What is my problem? Also, I was told to use Castrol GTX(in a white bottle), but it has energy conserving additives in it also, so what whould I use? Please help, I have the opportunity to go to the dunes for the first time if I could get my clutch working again!

Old 05-15-2002, 08:22 PM
Pro Rider

Dont use sunthetic is make your clutch slip and my mojave did that when i replaced the clutch. i just had to let it warm up, you probaly just need to adjust your clutch to. the 450 is a joke too.

Old 05-15-2002, 08:25 PM
Pro Rider

Yea, I know it's a joke, but it's the only way to get a view. The clutch can't be adjusted other than the cable and I've done it a million times.

Old 05-15-2002, 08:28 PM
Pro Rider

so when you warm it up and pop it into gear it still dies? check where you hook your cable up to the thingy by the clutch and see if its rabbing all the way.

Old 05-15-2002, 08:55 PM
Pro Rider

Synthetic oil is fine.
Your problem is more than likely elsewhere.
I use synthetic in mine, and my girlfriends, and there is no problems whatsoever. The only reason the plates will slip with synthetic is if the plates are already glazed.

If the quad is jumping, and dying, it means that the clutch is not RELEASING.

I would take apart the clutch again and make sure that everything is installed correctly.
Also see if there is any wear in the clutch basket.
When the basket gets grooves worn in the tangs, the plates will catch, and not allow the clutch to work properly, or smoothly.

Old 05-15-2002, 09:03 PM
Pro Rider

There ltracerx you got your stinkin replies are you happy now you stupid little jerk? J/k lol. This place isn't so bad now is it?

Old 05-15-2002, 09:31 PM
Pro Rider

LOL!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-15-2002, 10:00 PM
Trailblazer

sounds like you clutch is wasted the damage is all ready done. best thing to do is replace it and stay away from castrol and use a good oil i use gear saver cost a little more but well worth it. i run a 310r for mx and just burn a clutch a year and can still use it when im done . if i was you i would change the fibers but thats me hope i help . good luck in what ever you do .

Old 05-15-2002, 10:16 PM
Pro Rider

Replace it without even checking into what the problem is?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Man! you must have money to burn!
You can throw some of that cash my way if you want![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-15-2002, 11:47 PM
Trailblazer

just seems to me that the fibers soaked up the oil and could have swellled up and are not gona work right. is the clutch pull harder than b4 it kinda hard to tell whats the prob is not being able to look at it . if the pull is hard and you know tha cable is good basket not groved to bad i would say that the fibers are swelled . i have seen it befor . just tryin to help .

Quick Reply: Clutch Question?