Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

k&n or uni filter

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2002, 10:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have been hearing bad things about the k&n filter letting in to much dirt when you are racing, even with an outerwear. So i was wondering if the uni filter would be any better, or what?? I have heard that the uni is better for racing. Is it just a preferance or is one better then the other???

Old 05-15-2002, 10:49 PM
Pro Rider

I smell smoke![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Seriously though, I think it is a matter of opinion.
I have used a K&N for years (in the sand) without any problems.

Some don't like em, some do. I'm sure you will get lots of opinions on this one though![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-15-2002, 10:56 PM
Range Rover

K&N is the way to go!

Old 05-16-2002, 02:42 AM
Pro Rider

I run a k&n just keep it clean and oiled .
I believe its the only way

Old 05-17-2002, 12:43 PM
Range Rover

What mods you got on your ex slomoe?

Old 05-17-2002, 12:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you ride in really dusty conditions i would recommend the unifilter much better at grabbing the fine dust particles.actually i would recommend the the unifilter or just about any foam filter over the K&N.cause you do not gain enough power or flow over the foam filter to warrant the extra expense of the K&N and you clearly won't get the protection of a K&N.
but if you do wannna use a K&N there is somethign better then the little outerwears you can get for them.for the best protection you can get these real thin fowm wraps that go arounsd the K&N and do not restrict any flow whatso ever and the foam can be oiled and give you added protection.

Old 05-17-2002, 05:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I use panty-hose underneath my outerwear. This give you added protection agianst anything smaller than a grain of sand.

Biggerisbetter.

Trending Topics

Old 05-17-2002, 05:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

I had the very same question because what I keep hearing is the K&N lets too much dirt in in dusty/sandy conditions. I called K&N to see how they responded to that reputation comment. They were very quick to say that in Desert Storm when the Helicopters were coming down, the Army switched to K&N filters and with them on, they had no more dirt ingestion engine problems. They stated that their Micron efficiency rating was as high or higher than competitive foam brands and all but signed a guarantee to me that I should not be concerned running thier product in extreme dust conditions, even with the lid off. They did recommend the Outerwears prefilter, not because it has higher filtration but because it is easy to remove, wash and replace. Removing the entire filter to clean is much harder to do in the middle of a long dusty day of riding. Of course they emphasized the need for oiling and that some box designs will not allow the filter to seal properly without the lid on.

Anyway for what it is worth, they convinced me that I could be confident running a K&N even in high dust areas. So what kind of evidence is out there that the foam types, like Uni are better for dust?

Old 05-20-2002, 12:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Anybody?

Old 05-21-2002, 12:35 PM
Range Rover

you have a good point there Chet

Quick Reply: k&n or uni filter