Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Oil filter and air filter element

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2002, 10:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering if the Honda filters come with the O - rings. If not how many times can they be re-used. Also wondering how many times the air filter element can be cleaned before being replaced. Placing an order for 5 oil filters and a case of hn-4 10w-40 oil for my new Foreman and want to know if there is anything else that I should purchase in advance.

Thanks

Old 05-17-2002, 02:05 AM
Pro Rider

Ge some foam filter oil(assuming your filter is foam materail). They can be reused for quite some time, just don't clean it with gas,any kind of paint thinners, or harsh chemicals. They will eat away paticles of foam and then that little particle gets sucked into your motor, not a good thing! Also be sure to get the whole filter oiled well. I usually clean my filter every other day(I ride about 4 hours a day everyday). I don't know about the O-Rings though, sorry.

Old 05-17-2002, 02:45 AM
The Facility

The air filter doesn't need to be replaced until the one you have now eventually deteriorates as ltracerx said. I know some guys who still use the stock filter that came on their quad from over 10 years ago. Chemicals will determine the longevity of it, but not maintaining it will also cause it to go south.

The oil filters do not come with o-rings and Honda does not recommend them be changed at any time. Honda does however sell the O-ring seperately. It wouldn't be a bad idea to have one handy though just in case you need it one day.

Old 05-17-2002, 12:36 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The oil you bought, Honda-4, is Mobile 10w40 engine oil. It is nothing special, just regular 10w40 engine oil. You can not go buy oil with the same SF or SG rating because that certification has been replaced by the newer certification of SH and SJ. These are the SAE certifications for oil. Honda bought massive amounts of this oil on a bid and have not sold it all yet, thats why it still has the old certifications on it. It cost an oil manufacture $400,000 per item to have certified.

When I purchased my Rubicon last year I had an oil analysis done ($25) on the original oil I drained out of it to verify this, basic 10w40 engine oil. No magic additives, no nothing special. I did not want to pay $4 for a quart of oil if I didn't have to and I didn't want to take a chance of putting in something I shouldn't and ruin the automatic trans either. I do use Valvoline, the number 1 choice of top mechanics, 10w40 and change the oil AND FILTER before I need to. 1650 miles and 180 hours later, everything perfect.

I just purchased a new 02 Rancher ES 4X4 and will also use Valvoline 10w40 in it. Service it religiously and ride it forever.

Happy riding.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]