Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Help with Carb!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2000, 07:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today i was riding and after about 2 hours of riding my Honda 250X kinda went to crap. I was cruising in 5th gear on a gravel road, i was going about quarter throttle, all of a sudden it kinda bogged out, there was a big hesitation from zero throttle to half throttle, otherwise the rest of the travel of my thumb there is power. At first i thought it was the throttle cable needing adjustment, but with further inspection i think it is the carb, i tryed adjusting but that really didnt help any, maybe it is still the cable. When it comes to carbs i am really clueless, otherwise i could handle it.. i just need some help. Please give me an idea of what to do. Thanks alot guys.

Old 03-05-2000, 07:38 PM
Pro Rider

did the clip fall off of the needle?? I've had that happen once.

Old 03-05-2000, 08:10 PM
Pro Rider

yeah ummm can you put that in lay terms?? like i said.... when it comes to carbs... i dont have a clue.... thanks

Old 03-06-2000, 03:56 AM
JRM
Pro Rider

Sounds like either water or dirt got sucked into the needle and pilot jet. but your main is fine. Take the bowl off the carb and you will see two hex type brass jets. one in the middle and another beside it, take both out and spray the heck out if the inside of the carb and abouve them them with carb cleaner.. and hit it with some compressed air. Then make sure the jets themselvs are clear too rember to take a good look at how the plastic float looks like in case the pin falls out or if you need to remove it let us know what ya find out
Joe

Old 03-06-2000, 11:31 AM
Trailblazer

JRM, I think your right on. Sounds like the intermediate jet has a peice of crap in it. Without going into carburator 101 it may be just as easy to pull off the whole carb and take it somewhere to have it dunked. Whatever that magic solution is seems to get to all of the little bitty ports that fill up with gas funk.
On another subject, I have an '87 Yamaha 350 that as soon as you shut it off, gas pours out the bowl overflow. I have reset the float height and the needle valve seems to be in good shape. the only thing I'm no positive about is the spring plunger on the needle valve. It seems kinda week. Any ideas? I know that this is a Honda forum, but I thought while I was here...

Esears '96 400 Foreman 4x4
'87 Moto 4 350

Old 03-06-2000, 03:42 PM
JRM
Pro Rider

that carb bath stuff is pretty harsh.. i avoid it if possable, as for you yammie yes those springs are weak..to set your float just flip the carb upside down and make sure the float is level. if that doesnt work grab another spring and float valve..
Joe

Old 03-06-2000, 06:11 PM
Pro Rider

Hey everybody, thanks for the tips... I am going to go work on it right now, check ya later. Ill let you know what i find! Thanks again..

Old 03-06-2000, 07:35 PM
Pro Rider

Well guys I guess I am screwed in the ***... I swear Honda puts loc-tite on all their bolts and screws, my god. I was out trying to get the bowl off my carb and i stripped out 3 of the 4 heads of the screws holding it in!!!!!!! So now what the hell do i do?? They seem to be to small for a vicegrips or needle nose. I need help and how do you get the throttle cable out of the carb with out any major readjustments?? well thanks for the help!

Old 03-06-2000, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider

Well Ranger you could go down to the hardware store and buy some easy-outs. Then drill a little hole in the screws and put it in and it will pull it right out. Maybe someone else has another idea.

Old 03-06-2000, 08:04 PM
wgr
Trailblazer

To remove the stripped bolts drill the heads of the bolts with a drill bit the same diameter as the bolt shaft remove the float bowl and use vicegrips to remove the studs.

Quick Reply: Help with Carb!