Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

The EX & The Z

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2002 | 12:13 PM
|
Pro Rider

Many have their opinions about this damn Z. I, personally, like it and will most likely get one. What is everyone's opinion when comparing the Z to the EX? Pro's and Con's.

Old 05-21-2002 | 03:32 PM
Pro Rider

The Z is "evolutionary not revolutionary". They did a 400EX knock-off, and put a better engine in it. The 400 has a great reliability record. 400's do monster desert races all the time, without any problems ("To finish first, you must first finish!!&quot. The Z is an unknown in terms of reliability, but the basic engine design has been tested for years in the dirt bikes and should be bulletproof. But, it is risky to buy the first production year of any new model.

Personally, if I was DESPERATE for a new bike today, I would probably take a chance on the Z. If you can afford to take a chance, get the Z and accept the consequences if it turns out to be a bust. If you can't afford to take a chance, keep riding your 300 for a while, and see how the Z holds up after its first year. Then make a decision.

Sometimes, it makes sense to let those other guys do the testing for you. In the Baja 2000, the Raptors first major desert race, it fell to pieces. That is why I don't own a Raptor!!