Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

HORSEPOWER- 400EX vs Z400

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2002, 05:48 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still don't get it someone explain it to me, WHO CARES!! When you go to buy a four wheeler don't you ride everything that can compare in the class of atv that you want??? I wouldn't buy one if I hadn't! So go ride them all Raptor, Banshee, Z400, 400ex, cannondale, and whatever else there is, and bring home the one that suits you the best!

Personally I am not brand specific,in my garage you will find Honda,Yamaha,Suzuki and Kawasaki! So don't give me the your biased thing cause I'm not! Again who cares???

Wyoduner,

When is the best time to come out to the Dunes of Wyoming is August or September any good? Oh ya I will probrably bring a Yamaha so it doesn't hurt your eyes so bad.

Old 06-12-2002, 06:06 PM
Pro Rider

the title to my 2002 400ex from american honda motor co. inc says the hp on my machine is 34.2 does anyone have anything different

Old 06-12-2002, 06:50 PM
Trailblazer

<< the title to my 2002 400ex from american honda motor co. inc says the hp on my machine is 34.2 does anyone have anything different >>

your stiock 400ex does NOT put out 34 horses, maybe 24, but 34? get real thats 1hp more then a raptor,

most 400ex owners who bought their quad within the last 2 years are just pissed cuz they got the weaker machine when they could have waited a year or two and got the superior 4 stroke 400 class atv, now theyre just trying to defend their choice, now, in a year, if yamaha comes out with a 400 4 stroke, that out performs both the z400 and ex400, in speed,reliability,horses, and handling, youl see the z400 owners defending their machine just like the ex owners are now, so, my point in all of this is.....shutup bout it, geez, compare speeds if your wanting to run in a str8 line, thats not wut these machines were made for, theyre made for handling good while still being fast in trails and on a track, also the dessert, so why argue? youl never agree with eachother,

so just think about what i said about the EX owners defending their quad, cuz if yamaha does come out with a 400 thats all around better then the z400, youl see them defending their quad......cuz EVERYBODY defends their machine no matter what it is, cuz in their opinion, its a real nice machine and they think it couldnt get any better (or somethuing along those lines) IMO u should feel lucky u get to ride yer quads lol mines stuck in another state and i havnt been able to ride it in over a year, but thank god at the end of this month ill be able to get it, sell it and get a z400, then in a couple years when yamaha releases a 400, i can defend my machine lol

anyone get what im saying?

Old 06-12-2002, 07:27 PM
Pro Rider

that HP figure is what the motor produces , not what it puts to the ground , the prairie 650 motor produces around 43 to 45 hp , the 650 puts 31 to the ground ( on a dyno ),the Rubicon puts 19 Hp to the ground , you loose at lot from the motor to the wheels , although sport quads don't drop as much as the utility guads because of the transmissions and chains. I have seen these utility quads on a dyno but I have not seen any sport machines. Just as a reference the 700 sportsman puts almost 2 Hp less than the prairie to the wheels . Have a good day all.

Old 06-12-2002, 10:12 PM
Pro Rider

Trinity just got 33.1 at the wheel for the Z. We dynoed one here at the Honda dealer's shop and also got 33, totally stock.
I've raced Pipe, jetted and lid removed EX's. The Z400 walks away through most of the power band and on top end.

Old 06-13-2002, 01:41 AM
Range Rover

I DONT THINK YOU CAN EVEN COMPARE THE TWO MACHINES. BECAUSE THE Z IS ALREADY HIGHER PERFORMANCE THAN THE 400EX IT SHOULD BE ABLE TO KILL IT. IT'S LIQUID COOLED (HELPS hp ALOT) IT HAS WAY HIGHER COMPRESSION PISTIONS THAT HELPS ALOT TO. but thats just my imput.
I KNOW WE SHOULD COMPARE THEM BECAUSE THERE BOTH 400. PERSONALY I WOULD TRADE MY EX IN ANY DAY FOR A NEW Z.

Old 06-16-2002, 09:28 PM
Range Rover

all i wanna know is which one is bettr for wheelies

Old 06-16-2002, 10:25 PM
Pro Rider

Most likely the 400EX because of its meatier low end torque.

-Matt

Old 06-16-2002, 11:41 PM
Range Rover

All I wanna know is how many ponies are in a 400ex with a high compression piston. the z has is what 11.2:1? if the 400ex had this much would it have the same hp or maybe more????

Old 06-17-2002, 12:32 AM
Pro Rider

Here's the skinny. My girl and I have Z's. They really are incredible. Yes, the compression is up there @ 11.3 to 1. That's awesome, they did it for us! Liquid cooling, very very nice. Reverse, I must have used it like fifty times today while trail riding here in Washington at Reiter Pits (killer freakin place), and it's easy to use. Handles like a dream, both in the air and railing around corners. The power is just great too. It does wheelies in first, second, or third if you'd like. If ya got a bump, it get one up in fourth too in case ya wanna know. Did that today for the first time. Yes, the honda has a bit more low end, BUT that is very easily remidied with a pipe. There is a very nice kit out right now which packs on six ponies without any mods to the jetting or airbox. You pop off the top of the airbox, jet it up to a 154 I think, and that six ponies jumps to nine. Yeah, that's pretty awesome, now it will easily take a raptor. Of course, not one that is also piped and jetted but whatever. I'll eat them up on a track or tight trail. I did some very very technical trail riding with it for the first time this weekend and it did everything I wanted it to, except for those three feet deep ruts full of mud, but this ain't no Sportsman 700. But yeah, anyhow, this is a great quad. It is everything the ex could have been in time. I think the ex is a great machine, don't get me wrong, but I sure would be a lot more sore if I hadn't had reverse this weekend. I love this machine. Oh yeah, I have jumped the snot outta my ride and not bent an axle, yet anyhow. Any questions on this machine, leave me a private message.

ride it like ya stole it.
peace

Quick Reply: HORSEPOWER- 400EX vs Z400