Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Bogus Company, SuperiorTrails, Beware!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2002 | 12:27 AM
|
Pro Rider

Here's some info I just received from our United 4WD Associations attorney here in Oregon (Carla Boucher). Thought I'd pass it on to everyone.

"Make sure all your friends who ride know that this isn't a good deal!

Subject: Use caution with new group

A company or program called Superior Trails is developing a permit scheme for all federal lands. The company is hoping to get federal authorization to institute a mandatory permit costing $35.00 as a requirement for all OHV travel on federally-managed lands. The permit would be required before any person may travel on federal land using four wheel drives, ATVs, or motorcycles. In order to obtain a permit a user would be required to take a test and pass it pertaining to appropriate mechanical requirements and user ethics. Test taking stations would be available at merchants such as auto dealers, parts places, and 4x4 shops.

In addition to the permit, the company would institute its own law enforcement regulations. Fines for violations of the regulations are ranging from $900 to $1000 per violation.

I have been discussing the program with one of the partners of the company and trying to explain to them the problems associated with this system. He has recently informed me that he intends to poll four wheel drive clubs to see whether they support the development of such a system.

One of the initial problems I have with this concept (and I have many problems with it right now) is that their website is currently set up to allow a user to take the test and if they pass, collect their $35.00 for a permit. The website can be viewed at www.superiortrail.com . However, until the program is approved legislatively through Congress the money you spend on a permit gets you nothing. Also, the website has Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) but it fails to plainly state that this program would REQUIRE every motorized user to have one of their permits to recreate on federal lands and it fails to indicate that a permit paid for now means nothing and the money the user spends to get the permit ($35.00) gets them nothing, it simply lines the pocket of the company developing the program. In short, I have strongly indicated to these people my problems with their idea.

My concern is that your member clubs will only get a part of the story when they are polled for their reaction. Please advise them to proceed cautiously with this company and their program and to ask a lot of questions if they are polled before taking a position on whether to support this program.

Thanks for taking the time to pass this information on to all your members.

Carla Boucher"

Old 06-13-2002 | 01:21 AM
Pro Rider

What all is wrong with this picture? Many states have their own registration programs that the feds already accept as permits on federal ground. The ATV Safety Institute already has a Ridercourse designed at the insistence of the Consumer Product Safety Commission (part of US government) that has been operating for over ten years with approval as training for federal employees such as forest service and military employees, before they can operate atvs as part of their jobs. So everything these jokers want already exists, except they aren't getting paid for it all. Sounds like time to contact legislators and express your opinion about this proposal. In case I wasn't clear, I strongly oppose this idea. What do you say?

Old 06-13-2002 | 12:31 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds pretty bogus to me.
Always someone unethical enough to try to make money on unsuspecting people that think they're doing the "right" thing.

Old 06-13-2002 | 04:30 PM
Pro Rider

Maybe we should put a toll booth on the Golden Gate bridge. It would be about as legitimate.

Old 06-13-2002 | 04:46 PM
Range Rover

These guys have lost their minds. Why do some people always seem to get off on trying to regulate what others do. Fines and crap imposed by a private sector group. The gov't is bad enough and they are people we elected. bump um.

Old 06-13-2002 | 05:21 PM
Trailblazer

well in NY if your not going to be riding just on private property you should have registration, and insurance. if not you can face fines as well as getting your quad impounded. this is also true in MA because i am registered there also.

Old 06-13-2002 | 05:53 PM
Range Rover

Trailblazer, are you buying your registration from a private organization? It's probably a state or local gov't agency that you are getting the registration from. What real purpose other than the state getting the license money does the registration serve. It's the same everywhere you go. People and comapnies have done the same thing for many years and then all of a sudden a county council person or other politician decideds they want to license a particular thing. then they have to hire someone to enforce the law, like an inspector or something. but in real terms it's a way to get more money for the gov't. which is still different than what we are talking about here. Here we are talking about a private group enforcing their OWN rules and fining people that break them as if they were an elected gov't organization., We elect our officials whether we like what they do or not. Private organizations have no business fining people and charging for licensing etc. Now if they own the land then the land is private and they can do what they want to. I think superiortrails is wanting control over the public atv domain in general not just land that they own, if they even own any. They want control over public lands that tax payers have paid for. Just my $.02

I'm out

Old 06-13-2002 | 10:55 PM
|
Pro Rider

<<They want control over public lands that tax payers have paid for>>

Absoulutely, that's really well put!

Hopefully we'll get the site shut down before anyone falls for this gimmick!

Old 06-21-2002 | 03:32 PM
Range Rover

Look at the regulation section on their website. superior trail regs
they even have rules and fines for camping and fishing as
well as anti firearm rules. these guys have no business
in any of that. Not to mention atv's.