Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

450S exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2002 | 12:15 PM
|
Pro Rider

Got a loud rattle in the muffler when throttle is on. Is this fixable, like a broken baffle? What aftermarket exhaust (with spark arrester) has the best adjustment for power vs quiet? Thanks in advance!

Old 06-27-2002 | 09:03 PM
Range Rover

I have the same problem. I'm sure someone qualified could cut the exhaust apart and fix it. But before you do anything take the exhaust off and remove the het sheild. Then inspect the welds where the mounts are to hold the exhaust on. When I removed mine I found a faulty weld that never took on one of those mounts. I am sure this was what caused mine to fail. If this is the same case call Honda and also show your dealer where you purchased it. Mine was bad on the front mount. I'm very curious if this is the same case as mine is a 98 450 ES. I beleive Honda should come good for it because who would ever take there exhaust off to inspect it if they didn't think there was a problem. The only way to see it is to completely remove it and the heat sheild. Let me know what you find.

The BIG YELLER BEAST!!

Old 06-28-2002 | 08:58 PM
Trailblazer

If your looking for an aftermarket exhaust there are a few to choose from. The Supertrap IDS2 is relatively cheap and it isn't so loud that you should get into trouble. However, the craftsmanship isn't all that great. Where they rivet the logo onto the silencer there seems to be a tendancy for the silencer to blow apart there. It could have just been a bad batch, but we've (The group I ride in) have gone through 3 - however, they did replace each one.

Big Gun is another choice. Very Good craftsmanship, but a little bit louder.

I've never used the WB on a Foreman, but the one on my EX made a good improvement in the power department. However, it is a bit loud and the craftsmanship isn't like what it used to be. I've had to weld my up twice now.

There are a few other manufacturers out there also. There is DG, FMF, and I think HMF may make one, but I'm not sure. If noise is a major issue though, you should probably just use the stock silencer.

Hope this helped.

Old 07-01-2002 | 01:35 AM
|
Pro Rider

Pulled the pipe, listened to the motor-no rattle there. took off the muffler and pipe heat shields, opened the drain plug and beat the muffler with a plastic mallet. Some carbon and a few little chunks of grunge came out. Then tapped all over the muffler with the mallet, heard a noise at the front end of the muffler that sounds like the baffle is touching the muffler wall in one place. THERE WERE NO FAILED WELDS IN ANY MOUNTING POINTS. Reattached the shields with silicone gasket material and thin copper washers between muffler and shield at every connection point. Tightened the shield bolts well, put it back together, and, a lot less noise but still a mild harmonic vibration from the loose baffle. I can live with it. There are no really quiet after market mufflers for this as of now, HOPE FMF WILL MAKE ONE. Quad is pretty quiet for its size, and i wanted to have the option of keeping that. The new part from Honda would likely be high $. So, almost a happy ending. It helps to bring your mechanic some cold ones when he helps you out, as I have learned. Thanks, Terry at All Terrain! You rule!