Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2002 400ex New Break in

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2002, 10:55 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I've just completed the 100 mile or so break (No romps) in on my 400. Changed the oil and oil filter, Changed the Air Filter, Adjusted the chain and checked all of the nuts and bolts. The quad runs Flawless with no noises or rattles other than I already need new rear brake pads. Now my question is this, Do I have to pay the dealer to have them check the valves. I've read the how too's on all the sites but don't feel comfortable doing it, and I always heard if it aint broke, don't fix it. There is no pinging, clanking or anything that would say the valves need adjustment. I run a constant 92 octain, Honda 4 stroke oil and never really get it into 5th due to the trails. I'm not use to all of this maintaining on a sport quad. on my 99 recon I did nothing and I mean nothing for upkeep and it still rides awesome, I mean I broke it in like I stole it and never changed or adjusted anything. I just want to make sure that I have the same luck with the 400 as I have with the green booger.

Old 07-11-2002, 12:01 PM
Pro Rider

I would probably wait until the next service interval if I were you, I know plenty of people who probably still havent had their valves adjusted.... I think I would check with dealer and see what they charge to check it and see if it is too outrageous. Ive heard of several people having trouble with dealers saying that they checked/adjusted valves and didnt, but still paid the $ for it. If you mechanically inclined you might want to pick up the service manual and give it a shot. Undoubtly it cannot be that difficult, but then again im no genius! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-11-2002, 12:08 PM
Pro Rider

Buy the manual and do it yourself. The luck I've had at the local Honda Dealers has not been very impressive.. If you do it you know A. it was done B. It was done right. and C. You saved a few bucks D. Learned something.

Have someone else with a 400EX come over and show you or do both at the same time.

Is that Shelby a Fastback or a coupe. Did you Shelbysize it or a real one?

Smitty

Old 07-11-2002, 12:27 PM
Trailblazer

Sounds like a plan, My buddy got a 400 1 week before me, damn him, he's the only reason I have this thing, I rode his a few days after he got his and since then my recon has not been ridden, damn him, I even traded in my 2002 XR dirtbike for the thing. I see about getting the repair book since he's the more mechanical one

Old 07-11-2002, 12:35 PM
Trailblazer

LOL, it's a shelby'd Gt 2+2. The way I figure it, its talks the talk and walks the walk. People are always creaming over it and then they say I'm stupid for ACTUALLY enjoying a shelby. Only me and my friends know is a fake. The only thing that will give it away is the oil pan is still the stock and not the square race pan and the fact that the numbers don't match. Unfortunatly its undergoing some restoration right now. "Buyer beware, never buy a red old mustang from a car dealer".

Old 07-13-2002, 11:07 PM
Pro Rider

Have your buddy show you how to do it. I showed my neighbor today how to give his warrior a tune up. I even got rid of the parking brake switch and I grounded out the reverse switch to the battery so neither of them can go bad and leave him stranded on the trails. I enjoy showing people how to take care of their machine who would otherwise spend money to get it fixed. Besides it never hurts to learn as much as you can about how your bike works.