Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

ATV Television and Doug Meyer

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2002, 11:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

I just watched the Rincon episode and I can hang with it if Doug didn't like the tranny but here is what I can't hang with.

1. Doug says they might be extending the show to an hour. Why?

It took until the 7 minute mark to actually see a Rincon before and after this we got to see the grand canyon twice, the plane landing from 3 different angles, boarding the plane, the lodge he stayed at and it's history.

2. We got to the ride review at the 21 minute mark and a majority of it wasn't on the show. In the middle of what was on the show he stops trail side to investigate an old shack and take us inside. WHO CARES!! What is he Steve Irwin looking for snakes now!

3. Of the couple minutes of ATV footage we got to see some of it was shown twice and some of it was from so far away you couldn't tell what was out there but that was so you could enjoy the cinematography and huge panoramic view.

4. Oh yeah before the airplane and other BS we got to ride in the cab with Doug in his truck.

I think he needs to spend a lot more time with ATVs and the test and less with the non ATV related material. It would be great if it was an hour but I'm afraid he's going to start making hour long movies with a touch of ATVs in the background. I actually found the commercials for ATVs and accessories more exciting and that's sad because I really want the show to be good.

Sorry for the rant, Diggler [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 08-29-2002, 09:20 AM
Pro Rider

Dirt

I would have to agree with you. I used to watch the show every week. I haven't watched it in months. I couldn't seem to stay awake watching it. The endless amount of rock crawling and silly nonsense got real old after awhile. I was going to tape last nights show, good thing that I didn't waste my time.

Old 08-29-2002, 09:34 AM
Range Rover

I did tape it hoping for some great info, what a piece of crap show. I've never been so bored. That wasn't a review it was some kind of joke played on all the viewers.

Old 08-29-2002, 11:37 AM
Pro Rider

Don't even get me started on this show.

We had Doug on here a few months and talked about the show at great lenths. He is convinced that the majority of ATV market and enthusiests only care about utilty atvs. The hell with the new Cannondales, DS 650 bajas, Preditors, Z400s, Kawis z400. To him these bikes don't exist, no one cares about them, they don't sell and no one buy aftermarket parts for them.

Now, talk to him about winching a 600 lb 4x4 up the side of a waterfall and he will jump up and down in ecstacy. Actually he did a 3 part show on it, a 3 part show on winching a ute atv up a waterfall, I mean this is not even riding. Another one of his favs is taking a brand new ute atv and running it over a bunch of boulders. It pondersous to watch an atv move less than 1 mile per hour around a rock pit but he also puts more damage on a quad in 30 minutes than most with receive in a lifetime. I cringe when I see him take a brand new machine and ripe it to shreds. As you watch him rock crawl for what must be hours, you can't help but to ask yourself, wouldn't it be easier to just get off and walk over the rocks.

Old 08-29-2002, 02:29 PM
Pro Rider

I don't normally like to participate in bashing or negative remarks, but I do make some exceptions. This is one of them.

Of the few times I have been able to watch that show, it has always been about rock climbing. (Well, once they did run through a mudhole - sorry, forgot about that) By the time that episode went off, I was feeling miserable and tired. Like trx250Rob said, I was thinking it would just be so much easier to walk or climb over those rocks. Does this man not know how to hike?? Also, I too cringed as I watched several brand new machines tumbling down rock ledges or grinding their frames over jagged boulders.

Now, I can understand we are all different, being humans and all, but, uh...I, I just can't see any pleasure in what they do on that show. If that's all there was to ATV riding, or even if it was the majority of ATV riding, I just couldn't find any pleasure in it. Rather, I like to clip along at a pretty good pace and leave the rocks and ledges alone.

And, I agree pretty much with all of the other comments posted here. There is actually so little ATV footage shown that you sometimes have to wonder what the show is really about. You see him hawking his sponsors and their products as well as focusing the camera on what SHOULD BE the background more than you see the ATVs.

Again, rock climbing on an ATV does not look like fun to me. It's way too slow and requires way too much energy to be enjoyable, in my opinion.

Now, if I were trying to escape from Afghanistan possibly, I am sure I might be interested in watching how they do that.

By the way, what's this guy's background with ATVs anyway?

Old 08-29-2002, 03:13 PM
Pro Rider

Believe it or not he has a dirtbike motocross racing background as a rider and then wrote for some dirtbike or atv magazines.

Also I saw the Rincon show yesterday and that was one of the better ones. I noticed that he actually showed footage of quads in "action" while he spoke. In the past he would just stand there and mouth off the features with the camera fixed on his face and no atv in site.

It is just so annoying because you know it wouldn't take much to make it great show. I'm sure Doug is a great guy, he has done a lot for the sport and he was very polite on this forum even when we ripped into him, but enough with the rock crawling and the off topic (non-atv) rants. I remember in one show, he and his friends rock crawl (of course) for about 1 minute and the rest of the show was the three guys sitting around talking about how great the outdoors are and how great these folding, collapsable tables and chairs are. Literally, that was the whole show.

Old 08-29-2002, 03:43 PM
Pro Rider

Come on guy's, ANY atv show is better than no atv show at all,If they did extend it to an hour it might give more time actually see more riding, and feature's on the machine,This show is NOT intended to be a 30 minute video of these guy's riding, It is designed to be a video advertisement for various sponser's, so the bar ten ranch,the Grand canyon national park will get there perk's in the 30 minute's along with all the quad maufacturer's,some of the show's are better than the other's, It just depend's on what they have to work with, They said the time on the Rincon was very short so maybe they did the best they could with the little time they had.....Just a thought.

Old 08-29-2002, 03:59 PM
Trailblazer

hey stakk where do you ride? im asking because my family is planning on moving to that area and i was wondering on places to ride. thanks.
talking about the doug meyer thing, i emailed him a few months ago asking when the were going to get sport quads on and stuff. he emailed me back and said that they are planning to and that they were going to preview the z400. what ever happened to that, did it ever show? if doug meyer is reading this i hope that you will stop climbing rocks and get to the stuff most people are interested in. ahhh do i feel better[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-29-2002, 06:20 PM
Pro Rider

Crap...where was I when Doug was on here???

Anyway, I tuned in to the show last night to see the Rincon in action. I too sat through the Sport Trac scene, then the plane scene, then the plane landing scene, and the plane landing scene again, and the plain landing scene again. Then of course the ever interesting stepping off the plain scene while he is talking about something you can't make out. By the time we got to the lodge scene I was getting tired.

Then finally I see some ATV's!!! Wait a minute.....What the? Why am I watching a Rubicon??? Oh wait...I think I just caught a glimpse of a Rincon...or did I...oh, there it is again. Yup, that was a Rincon.

HEY!!! Now we're parked on the grand canyon babbling about something nobody cares about. Time to turn the TV off.

That's where I stopped watching it.

Like another member said, it's rare that he actually shows ATV footage while he's talking. Sure, give me the grand canyons entire history...I don't care...JUST PUT SOME FOOTAGE OF AN ATV GOING WHILE YOU DO IT PLEASE!!!

It wouldn't be bad if he could actually carry a conversation with somebody. He just has no interviewing skills. It pains me to watch how hard he's trying to make small talk about absolutely nothing. He talks...there is a pause....the other person answers....there is another pause....the Doug thinks of something else meaningless to say.

Like you guys said...It wouldn't take much to make a good show. Hell, the people producing the show wouldn't even have to own ATV's....they could just travel around the country filming people like us. Can you imagine how sweet of a show that would be. I hear so many good stories on here about the times that people have...whether it's trail riding, racing, or the big bashes like the one that 14mins had this summer. That's worth watching.

Yes, a crappy ATV show is better than nothing at all though. At least there may be a couple of episodes that I can watch every once in a while.

Oh, one other funny part is when you actually do watch them ride. Like that big 3 part epidsode where the were in Colorado (I think). He said "This trail is unpassable with a 2 wheel drive ATV". HA!!! All the footage I saw looked minor compared to what we do up here. There were a few spots that they WINCHED up that we probably would have problems, but other than that I didn't see anything that looked tough. At the end of the episode he was talking about an incredibly hard obstacle. It was basically a big crack in the rock what was really narrow and deep. I think he almost said that it's nearly impossible to go over. It then showed him trying and trying to get over it. Then guys started helping...then finally he got through it. Give me 5 minutes with my Banshee and we'd be through one way or another.

DOUG, IF YOU ARE READING THIS PLEASE TAKE ME UP ON THE CHALLENGE. FLY MY QUAD, AND MY BUDDIES SPORT QUADS OUT THERE WHERE YOU WERE FILMING. I BET YOU THAT WE CAN GET THROUGH EVERY OBSTACLE THAT YOU GUYS GO OVER, AND BETTER YET WE WILL GET THROUGH THEM WITHOUT THE ASSITANCE OF A WINCH.

LOL...Slow day at work.

-Josh

Old 08-29-2002, 06:48 PM
Pro Rider

Quick Reply: ATV Television and Doug Meyer