Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

IMS 440 kit, and 11:1, with powercore4, and powerbomb, what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2002, 08:22 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys,

I wanted to know what you guys think about their quality, an how moch power they give your bike. Thanks for any help.

Old 09-29-2002, 09:29 PM
Pro Rider

In your sig it says you're selling your quad, so why do any performance upgrades?? I think that the IMS kit is fine, but I've heard alot of complaints about the FMF pipes rusting and falling apart. 3 guys had to cut their FMF pipes off their headpipes because they had rusted solid. That was enough to keep me from buying their product.

Old 09-29-2002, 10:36 PM
Range Rover

I see soon as a couple of years. I'm not really selling my quad, just a sign that i'm kinda bummed about honda. I guess I'll just get a raptor or something. Well, I'm not worried about my pipe rusting, I do wash, but i'm a dune/desert rider. Sand rusts metal, though. I've had an fmf on a previous bike that was a used '95, it was ridden alot in muddy areas, but never rusted.

Old 10-03-2002, 03:24 PM
Pro Rider

Why are you down on Honda?

Old 10-03-2002, 03:41 PM
Pro Rider

I've had the PowerBomb and PowerCore IV on the 400EX for years, and not a hint of rust. This stuff is solid! OK I do live in the desert, but this includes about 4 long weekend trips each year to Pismo. There on the beach with the salt air and fog, if it is going to rust, it will rust on the first night!

The power increase (along with a K&N) was dramatic!! At first, I lost a lot of low end but had to carefully tune (pilot and needle) to get it back. Actually, I also had the airbox vented, but had to tape up some of the holes (to much air for the stock compression!). With the 440 and higher compression, it should be great.

Old 10-03-2002, 11:06 PM
Pro Rider

Ditch the FMF stuff and use a Curtis Sparks X-6 and a more agressive (NOT XR) cam. My buddy started out with the combo you selected and immediately (because it was still slow) went to the combo I described.

Old 10-04-2002, 10:45 AM
Range Rover

Moddedx, don't tell me you're a brand loyal freak. I am down on honda because I thought they would have made a bigger, faster sport quad. I mean, look at all the encouragement they've had, it just dosen't make any sense. I've had no problems with my hondas, and i ride the **** out of them. I was wanting a bigger sport quad after i get bored of spending money on my 400. I guess the bomb is really appealing to me.

Old 10-04-2002, 11:06 AM
Pro Rider

Little 400 - Me Brand loyal? Yes and no. I have owned all Hondas and one Suzuki. The main reason I buy Honda is because they make a great quad. If you look in the past you will see it usually takes Honda about 4-5 years to change a model so the wait hasn't suprized me. They were the first to step it up a notch and bring out the 400 in a sport quad. Yes the other companies and build machines that they say are a little better, but you have to remember that the 400ex has been around for now and the others are just catching up. I am sure Honda will make a move in the next year or two. But even since all the others are coming out with new quads, they still aren't much better (if any) than the 400ex. But think of the other brands a few years down the road from now, they wont have the Honda quality!(I know I will probably get flamed by someone for this)

Most people are going bby the mag articles and the mags are saying this one is better or that one is better. For one thing, coompanies have a lot of influence on what is said with money... And another way you look at it is that the other quads are new machines and the 400ex is daily news now so they will be pumped about new quads more so than the 400 since it has been around. Hell look at the Suzuki 400. It is pretty much on the same level as the 400 and it is new! You would think they would step up the game and come out with a 450 or something new. No, they just copied the 400 pretty much... To me their 400 is a level below the Honda just for the fact that they have had 3 years to come up with a new quad and they basically just made a 400ex...

I am actually in the market for a new quad! I have looked most of them over.. I liked the Raptor except it is a little tall and narrow, but definately fast. Thats about the only new quad out that I would think about buying over the 400ex(except an R)... Call me brand loyal or whatever, but I know what is a quality quad that will last a long time and be a great quad! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-07-2002, 12:23 AM
Range Rover

I wasn't saying that you were brand loyal, just asking in a sentence form. I love my 400ex, I don't think i would trade it in for any other quads except a ds, or a dale. I'm pretty sure that if I want to(which i am), I could modify my bike to make it kick butt on alot of the raptors out there( not the 770 on the bottle!!!). I probably won't get another quad in a while, considering the fact that i'm 12.

Old 10-07-2002, 11:28 AM
Pro Rider

Sorry if that post came off a little harsh.... I put the smiley at the end to hope make it not so. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] ANd the brnad loyal thing wasn't directed at you just out in general.
I am just tired of hearing everyone say, "OOOooo, this new quad is goign to be top dog now!" THey all say it when a new quad comes out... Just take a look at the past and present. There have been alot of nice quads that have come out over the years, but what brand to most of the top riders choose??? HONDA!!! Thats the way it has been and I believe that's the way it will stay!

Just my .02 cents! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: IMS 440 kit, and 11:1, with powercore4, and powerbomb, what do you think?