Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rancher vs Bayou

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-1999, 10:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone compared a 4x4 Rancher to the Kawasaki 300 Bayou in general utility and recreation use?? The Bayou seems to have some decent features like hi/lo range, semi-independent rear end, disc brakes and lower price. The Rancher ES clearly has more technology - but is lack of lo range a significant problem???

Old 12-19-1999, 10:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Its not really a fair comparison seeing that the Rancher is a 2000 model and the Bayou 300 debuted in 1986. The 2wd bayou does have a locking rear differential though.

------------------
Andy Bassham *(1999 Arctic Cat 500 4x4, 1989 Honda 300)*

Old 12-20-1999, 12:54 AM
Trailblazer

I have a 86 300 Bayou and I had test riden the Rancher last week, which by the way I will be trading my Bayou(which is getting old) for a Rancher in spring. I perfer the Rancher it has a bit of a sportier ride, and is build better with some more engineering. The Rancher is a bit lighter, plus its hard to beat Honda reliability.
I don't know where you saw Hi/Lo or the disc brakes because they don't have Hi/Lo and they have drum brakes, but they do have a unlockable rear diff but I don't use it, you only need it if your hard surface, but having it unlocked does give it a better turning radius. I perefer the Rancher but then again my Bayou is gitting old, but I still perefer the Rancher.

Ray : 86 Trx200sx, 86 Bayou 300

[This message has been edited by trxray (edited 12-19-1999).]

Old 12-20-1999, 01:36 AM
JRM
Pro Rider

wow, an unlockable diff...that would save me lots of $$ on tires, since I ride 5 miles a day on pavement and would also be easyer on our lawn
Joe

Old 12-20-1999, 01:42 PM
Trailblazer

Actually TrxRay the newer 300 Bayou's do have hydraulic front disc brakes and the 300 4x4 does have Hi/Lo range while the 2WD does not.

Old 12-20-1999, 01:59 PM
Range Rover

Snowjoke:

I have a ’91 Bayou 300 4x4 I bought as a used machine about 18 months ago. I bought it for my daughter to ride and for me to do minor yard work around my property. It has performed well in both roles.

If the comparison were between the Bayou and the older Honda TRX300, I would have to say the Bayou would have a slight edge in overall bang for the buck. However, the new 350 Recon is a fresh design that owes nothing to the old TRX300. And while the 2000 Bayou has a much needed suspension upgrade this year, it is still “old tech” compared with the Recon.

The Bayou’s dual range transmission enables it to pull large heavy loads quite easily. I once pulled my disabled Ford Ranger supercab pickup about ¼ mile up a slight grade with my Bayou 300 4x4. I also routinely use it to pull a Sears 14 CF garden cart filled with mulched up leaves and other yard waste. Back in the woods behind the house where I dump the leaves the Bayou 300 in low range pulls the fully loaded garden cart over all kinds of obstacles with no problem.

I also have a ’96 Bayou 400 4x4. The Bayou 300 in low range compares favorably with the 400 in low speed pulling power, falling only a little short of the 400 due to the 400’s greater weight and hence greater traction. I can effectively compare the relative traction of the 300 with that of the 400 because both quads are equipped with identically sized Goodyear Mudrunners. Therefore any difference in traction is due to weight and horsepower differences.

Either quad will give you many years of yeoman service in the role you have planned for it, so which one to choose?

If you are on a tight budget, I suggest you consider the Bayou 300 4x4. You can probably get 95% of the performance of Recon for less than 95% of the price of a Recon, thereby saving some money for accessories.

If money is no object then the Recon is the better choice.

Finally, for a detailed road test on the 2000 Bayou, please see Jim Cowgill’s article in the features section of the ATV Connection Magazine. Jim owns a first-year ’89 Bayou 300 4x4 and does an able job contrasting the original ’89 against the now well refined 2000 model. This article, plus whatever info you can find on the Recon, in conjunction with a visit to your friendly local Honda/Kawasaki dealer for a test ride should enable you to make a choice between the two.

Army Man

Old 12-20-1999, 02:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info. I must be missing something though - can't find the Bayou comparison article. Is it available in the on line magazine stuff???

Note from atvbbs: Make that, "will be available" in the "What's New" section of the ATV Connection home page soon. Stay tuned!

atvbbs

[This message has been edited by atvbbs (edited 12-20-1999).]

Old 12-20-1999, 03:12 PM
Pro Rider

When did a 350 Recon come out? I have only seen a Recon in a 250 size? Do you mean the Rancher?

Old 12-21-1999, 08:06 AM
Range Rover

TxDoc2:

My error, I did indeed mean the rancher. If Santa will just bring me a new keyboard for Christmas, I wouldn't make mistakes like that anymore.

Army Man

Old 12-21-1999, 07:23 PM
Pro Rider

Armyman, you said for people with a tight budget, they should get the Bayou. You also stated that you can probably get 95% of the performance of the Rancher for less than 95% of the price of a Rancher. I don't want to pick at what you said, but I just want to say a few things. The suggested retail for the Bayou 300 4x4 is $4999 for 2000. The 2000 Rancher 4x4 manual goes for $5199 and the electric shift goes for $5399. If you find the right dealer, you will get the electric for probably under $5 grand. With the Rancher you get a 329cc engine compared to the Bayou's 290cc, Rancher has more suspension travel, a backup recoil starter, more ground clearance, a new torque sensing front differential, and less weight (could be a pro or a con); oil cooler with fan assist, and a larger fuel tank. Plus, if you like the electric shift Rancher, it is there as another choice. I think I know which machine offers more for the money. Now if this was a comparison of the Rancher vs. the Prairie 300, it might be a different story. The Bayou is an old design and the Prairie and Rancher a new design, giving them an advantage in technology.

Quick Reply: Rancher vs Bayou