Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Old Dude Needs Advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2002, 01:50 PM
Ol
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old Dude Needs Advice

Howdy, OJC here and I need the benefit of your experiences.

I'm 60 years old and I'm looking for an ATV to play with on my place over in the Nevada desert. I've never ridden any ATV but I used to ride dirt bikes about 30 years ago. I used to LOVE trail riding with the guys, but alas, I know NO one who owns either a dirt bike or an ATV. This machine will primarily be to poke around and explore / prospect with. And I'll haul some fence posts and ranch stuff with it.

So, given that info what machine would you suggest? I just about decided on a Rancher ES since it fits with about an inch to spare in my pick up - and that's critical because I expect my pick up to haul me AND my RV trailer over the Sierras to the place and back.

Whattaya think ? At my age I shant be doing a lot of dune jumping. Any other old folks in central Ca fool with these things?

Old 12-03-2002, 02:21 PM
Pro Rider

get a sp400 or an AC, if your like most older people your back likely isn't like it was 30 years ago. Once you get the hang of riding an atv you might want to go at a faster pace, and the sp400 (or bigger, but since you mentioned rancher......) will get you there in comfort.

Old 12-03-2002, 02:50 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Polaris Sportsman and the Arctic Cat both ride smoother than a Rancher. I do believe they are both wider than a Rancher. If I was headed out into the desert by myself I would much prefere the Rancher. Just a reliability issue.

The Rancher will poke around anywhere you want to go and carry the minor items you want.

Good choice, and get a red one.

01 Red Rubicon (The Tow Truck)
02 Red Rancher ES 4X4

Old 12-03-2002, 04:17 PM
Pro Rider

The rancher will do everything you listed easily and is nice and maneurvable. Be sure to purchase a winch though, great for work, and if riding solo and you do happen to get stuck, you won't be scratching your head wondering how your gonna get it out. You may never intend on getting stuck, but you never know where you may end up.

Old 12-03-2002, 04:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why don't you look at a Yamaha Wolverine???

Old 12-03-2002, 04:40 PM
Range Rover

get something with an automatic transmission. a yamaha Kodiak or honda rubicon.

Old 12-03-2002, 05:15 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

I would have to agree with the Honda comment.

Im sure it would outlive an old timer like you!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-03-2002, 05:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I would say the Praire 400. its got full time 4 wheel drive turns very easy,has good power,and they are very comfortable,and reliable. They are also a big machine so payload is not a problem. JMO.

My father, which is 66 loves riding the Praire.

Biggerisbetter.

Old 12-03-2002, 06:08 PM
Ol
Range Rover

Specta,

I see you have both a red Rancher and a red Rubicon. I'm sure I'm showing my ignorance here but why do you suggest that I chose a red one, other than pure preference for the color red, as opposed to a green one ?

Now I know old folks are s'posed to like red - red sweaters - red socks - even red long john underwear. Shucks, I even have a red dog, but I kinda liked the green machines.

Or are you suggesting "red" referring to Honda's corporate colors - like IBM is Big Blue ? Sorry I'm so darned ignorant.

OJC

Old 12-03-2002, 07:10 PM
Pro Rider

The Rancher is a great machine. Ours is indestructable. We ride really hard and the Rancher can really tire me out because it's all-time 4wd. The suspension isn't super soft, either. If you're just poking, these things really shouldn't be an issue. I have to keep up with my husband going all out on the 650. Talk about rough on the ol' Rancher (and me).

A good friend of ours that rides with us is 53 and has had back surgery--he went with the Sportsman 500 and loves it. It has the independent rear suspension, so he has a nice ride, and it is auto & is selectable 2x4/4x4. Honda reliability is a big plus, though.

I would say to explore all your options and RIDE THEM FIRST. See what you are most comfortable with. You probably don't need a big 650 if you are poking around, but the Prairie and Rincon have a VERY plush ride.

Have fun shopping around!

Quick Reply: Old Dude Needs Advice