Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

smoking 450

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2000, 05:12 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a buddy has a 00 honda 450 es and the quad is smoking when he shifts. Every onece in a while it lets out a good puff of blue smoke. It still works good and the performance is good, but neither one of us is impressed especially me because I recommended he get the 450. Any one else have this problem or know someone that does? The quad is still under warrant but we are a little skeptical of what will happen. He bought the quad 2 hours away and he Ais thinking about taking it to the local dealer to see what they say. Any advice or input will be appreciated. Thanks Terry M.

Old 04-08-2000, 05:29 PM
Trailblazer

Its the oil dont ride it until the oil is change use the oil recomended in the owners manule if you cant find it call you local dealer and ask them. I would recomend the honda brand oil.

Old 04-08-2000, 08:23 PM
Trailblazer

it might have some water in the oil if it does change as soon as possible
dont ride it till it is changed bacause warranty wont give u a new engine

Old 04-08-2000, 08:57 PM
Pro Rider

Also chang you'r oil filter on the right side.
If you have any questons please ask becuase I got
a 00 450-s.

Old 04-09-2000, 01:29 AM
Trailblazer

He has changed the oil and filter 3 times since he bought the quad and it now has 500 miles, and he runs the honda oil. THE OIL IS TOTALLY CLEAN has less than 200 miles on it. The fan cuts in a REAL LOT and I kind of wondered if it may be running to hot. He has the 27" MUDBUGS which in my opinion robs the power, my 350 with the stock tires has alot more get up and go in any gear. Maybe he just got a LEMON.

Old 04-09-2000, 03:53 AM
Trailblazer

a friend of mine had a 4 stroke 250 three wheeler that did that and i have also seen other atvs that do that, if the performance is good and the smoke doesn't smell like something is burning up just let it ride

Old 04-09-2000, 01:03 PM
Trailblazer

well my cuzin just got a 300 honda about 1 month ago and every time we go riding he gets water in his oil even if we dont even go through deep water this happens i told him he needs to take it to the shop but he ignores me and even when he gets water in the oil he just rides it the rest of the day with it smoking and dieing on him i told him his honda wont last that long but ohhhwelll i cant tell him what to do i can just give him my opinion

if i was him i wouldnt ride it anymore till it gets fixed because it might be too late to do it when it finaly tears up and whe wont have any thing to ride

Old 04-09-2000, 01:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Make sure you are not over filling.ive seen that happen before.there is a wrong way to check the level.

Old 04-09-2000, 02:22 PM
Trailblazer

You guys what it is that he said it is smoking and there is a blue puff of smoke that comes out some times and if that happens it means that the chemicals in the oil are breaking down and that is because its not the right kid of oil ask you local dealer what kind and i would recomend always use Honda oil because some of the stuff out there hasnt been tested on all engines

Old 04-10-2000, 12:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

Does he have the air filter too saturated with oil? If not, he should take the machine to the dealer, 2 hours or not. Smoking is not something that will just go away. If it's new, warranty will take care of it(unless it has been under water). It is going to be the rings or cylinder. The sooner he gets it fixed the better off he will be. it is possible that he got a machine with the cylinder out-of-round. It has happened before.

Quick Reply: smoking 450