Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

stuck exhaust bolt

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2000, 05:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last night we were taking my exhaust off of my 300EX and thought the bottom bolt was moving but it was actually just twisting and broke off. There is still enough sticking out that we can get ahold if it with vise grips but still cant turn it. We even tried putting the vise grips on, taking another pair and latching onto the first pair, then tightening the first pair once they were on the bolt so they were tighter than we could get them and they still just kinda slip off. I dont have a clue how to get this damn thing loose except to drill it out and re-tap it. But then what would I use for the bolt? Thanks for any help you can give.

Old 04-10-2000, 05:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An Easy Out might work,but it sounds like it is really frozen so if you drill it out, and it's the stock exhaust you could see your Honda dealer & ask him to look up the bolt size on his micro fisch or ask one of your friends with a 300ex to remove his bolt, then take it to the hardware store & match it. Much cheaper than The dealer & quicker. If you have Ace Hardwares in your area, they carry metric nuts & bolts.

Old 04-10-2000, 05:31 PM
Pro Rider

One way to remove it would be to set a nut on the left over bolt end, and weld it. The heat from the weld "should" help loosen the bolt, then you put a wrench on and twist it out. If it does loosen up, dont keep twisting it out. Put plenty of WD40 on it and screw it in and out a little at a time, keep twisting, until it finally comes all the way out.
The local Honda dealer should have any bolt you want.

Old 04-10-2000, 07:17 PM
Pro Rider

Got it out!!
It basically took some hard work, a lot of sweat and cuss words but its out. What I did was first sprayed some WD-40 on it (done this already, but never hurts to do it again), took a set of vise grips and latched on it, then I took a second set of grips and attached to the tightening screw on the first set. I tightened the first set as much as I possibly could with this, then took them off. Then I took a hammer and beat the first set to loosen the bolt. Once it did finally turn a little, I sprayed about half a can of WD-40 in it and worked it back and forth just a tiny bit to get the WD-40 inside. Then I just kept puttin the grips back on and turing a little more till it was loose enough to turn with channel locks.
About time!
Thanks for all the replies
edited for profanity by atvbbs

Old 04-11-2000, 10:45 PM
Trailblazer

I would use some type of anti-seize on the bolt threads when putting it back together. That stuff will save a lot of problems.

Dan

Old 04-11-2000, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider

Gotta go with Dand11 on the anti-seize compound. Man's best friend where dissimilar metals are involved, especially exhaust bolts. They will come out clean next time.

Glad the old one is out.

DJ