Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Major Rubicon Noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2003, 10:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major Rubicon Noise

Does anyone else who has a Rubicon (02) hear a major grinding noise while going downhill? It sounds like a chain noise, but I was told by Honda that there is no chain that would do that. My freind says that it sounds like something is happening while it is in the de-compression mode. Can you believe that Honda actually said that I may have to break something before they can warranty fix it ?? What's up with that?

Old 01-30-2003, 11:29 PM
Pro Rider

Can you give me some more info on this? Is the quad on? Is it in gear? are you rolling the opposite dirction of the gear? For instance, if you are in D and you roll backwards you will hear a noise.

Old 01-31-2003, 12:07 AM
Pro Rider

I am 100 % sure that you have a low oil pressure!

It is one of the pressure vavles" forget exactly what it is called"

This a very well known problem with the Rubicon so make sure you take it in to your dealer so Honda can do and pay for the repairs even if you have no warranty left!

Mark

Old 01-31-2003, 12:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

It is in "D" gear, going forward slowly down a hill when the automatic de-compression is kicking in, and it sounds nasty. It is SOOOO still under warranty (Does that matter to them sometimes?) I have only had it 7-months with 700 miles on it. They are "consulting" with Honda. Just wondering if anyone else has had this same problem and what to expect.

Old 01-31-2003, 11:28 PM
Pro Rider

There has been many people,including myself with the low oil pressure problem wich causes the noise you are describing.

It is a pressure valve near the oil pump that ends up with debris from assembly of the oil pump that causes that valve to stick!

Honda has been very good to repair this problem.They would like to make sure this does not happen anymore.

Good luck.

Old 02-09-2003, 07:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

Goattrotter, Sorry for the delay in thanking you for the diognosis. It seems that you are correct. It felt good to "HELP" the guys in the service dept who were looking at me with that "blank stare in the headlights look" like "I don't hear anything wrong" Can you believe that this is the "First one" they have ever seen? When I told them I had the answer from help on the internet, they just couldn't understand. Anyways...They are covering under warranty and hopefully I can be riding in another week. Thanks Again..........Signing out until ....it breaks again......

Old 02-09-2003, 11:23 PM
Pro Rider

Great to hear they are going to help you out.

Let me know when you get it back!

It is a seven hour job!