Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

limited slip differential

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2000, 12:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mr. Billy Bob,
Well... Well... Well... Someone sure is sensitive. Did you not get your nap today? Anyone talks bad about your quad and your ready to spit nails. Your just like my neighbors little boy. You get so flustered you dont even know what to say anymore. All you know is you are REALLY PISSED and ready to kick someones @$$.

You started off by saying you were agreeing with me: and I quote "there is something ELSE wrong with the AWD..." which would lead one to believe you mean that you agree with my point and want me to see another point. You then close by stating: "Your facts are really theorys..." (or something to that effect)? Well do you agree or disagree? Do you have the backbone to take a solid stand on this issue or are you like the 'ol wind sock? You go in which ever direction the the wind is blowing.

Truthfully, I didn't really pay close attention to what your were typing. After about the first half of your post I remembered what my good ol father told me once. "Son" he said, "it is impossible to argue with pure ignorance!" Then he mumbled some other stuff.

Your right about the soupy mud. You would obviously have no problems obtaining the 1/5 of wheel slippage there. That goes without saying, and i believe when you make statements like that you insult everyones intellegence in the forum. I obviously am not referring to these situations. Try this for example: Cruising around in 2 wheel drive. You get in an off camber position and your rear tires get in a bind (vampires for example)and have too much traction to spin them over. The front would pull you out if they would bite, but because the back will not spin the front will not enguage.

Are you trying to say this could never happen. That this situation is so outlandish it could never happen in the realm of possibility. Just please say "Vasquez.... that could never happen", or say "well... I guess that could happen". Just pick a stand and stick to it. Its black and White. No gray for you Billy. YES or NO. Which one?

Jolly

Old 01-13-2000, 12:52 PM
Pro Rider

First off Vasquez, you don't even know who you are replying to. I (Bob) was merely pointing out what I believe to be a weakness in the Polaris or any other belt driven quads drive system. I fully understand how that system (Polaris) works Tree, and when you keep it dry it is probably the best out there in minimal traction situations. But I always here Polaris people telling Honda people that their system is inferior, because it allows the wheel in front with the least traction to spin. My point, If you had to make a 100 foot crossing threw three foot deep watery goo, what would you rather have, a limited slip Honda or a belt driven Polaris with all four wheels pulling equally. I think the Polaris would be stuck in the middle with a wet belt. Later Bob

Old 01-13-2000, 03:09 PM
Trailblazer

If you learned to drive the belt driven polaris adequatly, you shouldn`t have any probleme with water on the belt. In fact, I prefer automatic in deep mud situation because you can spin the tire as fast as you want and there`s no shifting to make which can (not always) lose some momentum.

Old 01-13-2000, 04:03 PM
Range Rover

Vasquez,

If your 4wd/2wd switchable quad is ever in the situation that it can't spin (doesn't have the power to over come the suction of the mud) the rear axle, whether the quad has instant 4wd or AWD like the Polaris will make no difference. This is because when in 2wd all the engine power is going to the rear axle, when you switch to 4wd/AWD the power is split between the 2 axles meaning there is even less power trying to spin each axle than when the engine was trying to spin the rear axle. So now definitely no axle will spin. Or will the fronts spin independantly from the rear? I don't think it will, but I am not sure.

Glenn.

[This message has been edited by GlennS (edited 01-13-2000).]

Old 01-13-2000, 04:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Acknowledging interestng discussion on this topic, one fact amazes me still:

Half or more of the posts seem to address Polaris drivetrains, systems with zero differential population! Yet, the topic, and initial post, referred to "limited-slip differentials!"

Further, this topic appears under the "Honda ATV's" forum; yet Polaris drivetrains dominate discussion.

A modest proposal: Since this topic has grown to two pages now; let's move the discussion to the "Drivetrain, Suspension, and Tires" forum.

I'll open up a topic there, "ATV Drivetrains." Meet me there for further discussion!

Tree Farmer

Old 01-13-2000, 04:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

bob4x4? I wasn't talking to you! I believe I was talking to Bill. Notice how I used "Billy" bob as my introduction. I do appreciate your response but it has absolutley nothing to do with what I was referring to. Please keep your proboscis out of my discussions unless you can keep up with the topic. I believe your comment should be posted to someone else.

Jolly

Old 01-13-2000, 05:00 PM
Pro Rider

Vasquez,I agreed with you that it does take 1/5 wheel slipage in order to activate the AWD system on the Polaris,However,I disagree with you when you stated that you once were personally stuck on a AWD Polaris BECAUSE THE REAR WHEELS WERE UNABLE TO ACHEIVE WHEEL SLIPAGE.[YOUR STATEMENTS,not mine]Your example of Vampires getting to much traction on off camber positions and being unable to creat rear wheel slipage so the front wheels will engage is totally outlandish and shows your inexperience with AWD systems.Your wanting me to pick a YES or NO to your childish question of ''could this possible happen'' is redicules.What a stupid question to ask someone like myself who knows the AWD system of the Polaris.BTW,you mentioned someone says something bad about my quad and im ready to spit nails.How childish can you be?First off,look back thru this forum and show me one person who talked bad about my quad?Dont see one do ya?Speaking of someone who goes in whatever direction the wind is blowing?WOW,you called that one right.[AIRBAG]

------------------

Old 01-14-2000, 11:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

Bob4x4, i was referring to your nose. :-) Just pickin on you though. Really just wanted to see if anyone knew what that meant. You impress me! *holds up his beer and gesters three cheers for Bob4x4* Your an alright ol boy.

For you Billy bob, you still dont know who i am. I am.... well nevermind. This is too much fun. Everytime I see you posted something, its like Blah! Blah! Blah! BORING!!!! For you to say that i am an inexperienced ridder is just silly. Your a silly billy. :-) Truthfully, I just wanted to see how long you would continue to argue. You are amazing! I mean, people filled my email account advising me that you were a .... how shall i put this..... a uh...... "sexual intellectual" (as in a f*****g know it all. You must not have impressed very many people in here. Do you have any friends at all?

On footnote, I refuse to argue with children, so from now on if your posts have nothing to do with "limited slip diff's" please go play in the chat room with all the other kids, or join another forum. I know, I can start up entitled "wholikesabillyanyway". would you post in there?

Vasquez offers his deepest appologies to all Forum members for his lack of responsibility by arguing with children off of the forum topic. I also appologize for Silly Billy as he probably does not have the maturity to do so.

Old 01-14-2000, 01:43 PM
Pro Rider

I offer no apology, because idiots like you who quote un-true things that I did'nt say dont deserve one.This ENTIRE argument started with your quoting about AWD systems that cant spin the rear wheels enough to activate the AWD system.You really need to go back thru these posts and quit mis-quoting things I NEVER said.Where did I call you an inexperienced rider?NO WHERE.I said your lack of knowledge on AWD systems really shows.I know the ONE person who is just filling you with e-mail about me and ''well'' you guessed it,I think some of his AWD experience lacks also. It's the same guy who earlier e-mailed me when another Forum user and he disagreed,looking for sympathy by e-mail.So now he goes to Vasquez.Big deal.You have not provided me with one BIT of evidence substanciating your so called ''FACTS'' on what you quoted about AWD systems getting stuck because the rear wheels could'nt spin.NOT ONE BIT.I try to act civilized with my posts.Just because I disagree with you, you got the nerve to come in here and act like a 6 yr old.I usually walk away from ignorant,no sense,name calling posts like yours,but man,''THIS IS ONE JERK I'D LOVE TO MEET.====Bill

------------------

Old 01-14-2000, 02:08 PM
Pro Rider

Vasquez, I fail to see what relevance an elephants trunk has to this conversation.(unless you are infering that my nose is rather large, in which case I am offended!) As far as Bill is concerned, I find his post's both informative and unbiased. A-team, I didn't know it took any great amount of prowess to operate a fully auto quad, but if you mean avoiding water or making sure you are in the proper drive range, so as not to burn up the belt, I think I have it covered. Later Bob.

Quick Reply: limited slip differential