Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

valve question

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2003, 09:40 PM
CJ5
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default valve question

The engine on my 4-wheeler (2000 Honda trx300) was ticking so I adjusted the valves and this cut the ticking some but the valve closest to the front of the engine moves some from side to side and is still causing a ticking sound when the engine is running. I guess this is what is causing the sound because when i move it from side to side with my hand, it is the same sound as when the engine runs. what i need to know is, is their a spacer washer or something that could have broke or something that causes it to move from side to side and tick.
thanks,
Charles

Old 02-11-2003, 10:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default valve question

It can be what you said or it can also be the rocker arm thats worn. if not check your valve guide it might have gotten worn too.

Old 02-12-2003, 07:45 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default valve question

CJ5: Engine noises can be tricky, and a certain amount of engine noise can be normal, especially a tick as opposed to a knock or a rattle. Also some sideplay is normal in rocker arms (guess that is what you're describing). Never heard of any spacer washer breaking. More likely Crackhead is right, that is cam and rockers are worn, although this is not common on any recent Honda model. You might be able to see the "flats" through the tappet covers with a good light. Other candidates could be cam chain\tensioner, incorrect piston sizing or scoring, exhaust manifold leaks at the head can sound a lot like engine noise, damaged decompressor lever spring (not sure if yours even has a decomp lever tho). I've had people put the oil filter in backwards on that type of engine (cuts all oil to top end), if this is the case it would have gotten real noisy fast right after the oil change. Valve guide problems are rare on Hondas. If it is not a severe noise, why don't you double check your valve adjustment (it's so easy on that one anyway) and make sure the correct feeler gauge fits good and snug. If that isn't it, have a good Honda tech listen to it and get a second opinion. good luck!!