Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400 EX swingarm bolt-HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2003, 10:22 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400 EX swingarm bolt-HELP!!!

I tried to get my swingarm bolt out so that I could grease the bearings in the awingarm, and the bolt won't move at all!! I soaked it down it penetrating oil so we'll see what happens tomorrow, but in the meantime, anyone got any suggestions, or experience with this problem? If you found something that works good, let me know!!!

Old 03-13-2003, 11:58 PM
Pro Rider

Make sure you take your rear tires off and your rear shock (from the swingarm...not the frame). This will release any weight that is being applied to the bolt. Get a heavy hammer, and a block of wood to hit the bolt with. It should break free. I've heard that if you let these things sit for more than a year or so, (and you do alot of mud/water riding) that it can be a real pain to get out. You may want to try an impact wrench. That just might do the trick. I'd probably go that route first to get it loose. Then try the heavy hammer when all else fails.

Good Luck!!! I'm planning on doing this myself in a couple of weeks (for the first time on this bike). I hope it comes out with "relative ease".

Old 03-14-2003, 01:17 PM
Trailblazer

Hey, I got an update here.
I soaked the whole thing in Bust Rust overnight, and when I got home from school yesterday, I took all the engine mount bolts loose, and started moving the engine on the bolt. Then I turned the head of the bolt with a 17mm socket, and it finally turned. But it still wouldn't come out. So, I got the impact wrench from the barn, a heavy hammer, and my dad to help. The combination of hitting the bolt, and spinning it with the impact FINALLY got the bolt loose from the right collar. After I got the bolt out, I could tell the penetrating oil hadn't gotten inside the collar. My suggestion on all the bolts-engine bolts AND swingarm bolt-is a healthy dose of never seize so you can get them back out whenever. Grease up the bearings, or replace them and reinstall with never sieze on the bolts. I think the never sieze will work better than plain old grease, because I saw old grease on the bolts, and it was still a PITA to get out, and mine is only 2 years old. My suggestion to all 400EX owners is to take this bolt out ASAP and never sieze it-even brand new quads!! You never know when a swingarm bearing is going to go out, or the motor will have to be pulled to fix the tranny. Just speaking from experience here!!! chad400ex, tell me how yours goes.