Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Which silencer to get, 400EX??

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2003, 11:26 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which silencer to get, 400EX??

I'm getting a silencer for my 400EX. I was thinking about getting a White Bros. E-series or an R-4, which one is better? What are the advantages to each and what are the disadvantages if any. Also is there any other silencers within the same price range as the WB that give more power? I'm leaning towards the E-series and a Dyno Jet kit.

Also If I get the E-series and Dyno Jet kit what size main and pilot jets will I need? I have a K&N air filter, Hi-Rev box, I will take my air box cover off, and grind the welds down inside my stock header pips. My engine is all stock other wise. Thanks. Any help would be great.

Old 03-31-2003, 07:01 PM
Trailblazer

check out ct racing web site i got a 400 with there jets and sonic pipe its pretty sweet i had a 300 with wb set up about the same but i think the ct has more top and i like the way it looks you will have to play with your jetting a little i have tried a few but have a 160 or 162 in now and like it my buddy has a pc on his and is still trying different jets

Old 04-03-2003, 12:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

don't waste your money for a 1hp gain...

saw off the quiet-core insert / spark-arrestor from the endcap....

it's easy and free... just like removing the airbox lid... or trimming both ends of the snorkel....

toss in a larger main jet for $4 and go have fun.... if you want to accelerate faster go down a tooth on your front sprocket $13

if you want more top speed, go up a tooth

that's all I've done... don't waste $100 of dollars on bolt on crap..... just save your money 'till you can put a good 440 kit in it

Old 04-08-2003, 07:55 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DSAPP
don't waste your money for a 1hp gain...

saw off the quiet-core insert / spark-arrestor from the endcap....

it's easy and free... just like removing the airbox lid... or trimming both ends of the snorkel....

toss in a larger main jet for $4 and go have fun.... if you want to accelerate faster go down a tooth on your front sprocket $13

if you want more top speed, go up a tooth

that's all I've done... don't waste $100 of dollars on bolt on crap..... just save your money 'till you can put a good 440 kit in it
LOL, if this was as effective as you think it is, than why do the manufactures still make pipes. The White bro's E-series makes the best "overall" Dyno results. and will give more than just 1HP. come down to earth.

Old 04-09-2003, 11:07 AM
Pro Rider

PmanX8

I did not say that my stock exhaust modification was as good as an aftermarket pipe...

I said I (personally) would not waste $500 on an aftermarket system for a stock 400EX

now if I had a big bore kit then it would be necessary

or if I had a Raptor which we all know responds WELL to a bolt on pipe

but on my EX... since it was FREE... and I did notice a slight improvement... why not do some mods to the stock exhaust???

"come down to earth"? buddy, I've been here for 32 years... how about you? you seem to be the new smarta$$ in the forums...
either find a way not to flame or just try a little harder not to be a know-it-all OK??? I was just offering my advice... chill out or go to some other forum site, because this one will not tolerate your crap!

Old 04-09-2003, 11:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well first of all, dyno reports arent everything, or even give an acerate description of riding on a trail. But i have owned the wb e series, the r 4 , and now i have the pro circuit.(t-4) I think the pro circuit gives it the best throttle responce , and a nice hp gain. The white brothers pipes are great on a dyno, but while riding they are to loud to notice anything else. And about the 440 kit, from what i have read and talked to people, it really doesnt do anything without the whole package, meanig cam, port, polish, valves header, all that stuff. The people at k and k who know what they are talking about told me the best thing you can do for a 400ex is a pipe and a cam. And without many mods the hotcam stage one is a nice upgrade, for just over a hundred bucks. and easy to do yourself. Well thats my opinion.

Old 04-09-2003, 12:35 PM
Trailblazer

I have a Pro Circuit T-4 on my 400EX and I'm gonna say it is an excellent value for the money. I got mine for $214.20 and that came with a spark arrestor. I also bought a quiet core for $26.95, but later learned that I don't need it. If you are going to ride in noise sensitive areas, PM me and I'll tell ya how to make it quiet. I would definitely look further than the WB, just because there are so many other choices out there. If you run the PC pipe wide open it is a mostly top end pipe, but retains decent low-end. After my mods to make it quiet, it has SOOOO much torque that I can't stop it from wheelying when I stab the throttle. The only way to stop it is to slip the clutch or ride on wet grass!!

Old 04-10-2003, 12:01 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DSAPP
PmanX8

I did not say that my stock exhaust modification was as good as an aftermarket pipe...

I said I (personally) would not waste $500 on an aftermarket system for a stock 400EX

now if I had a big bore kit then it would be necessary

or if I had a Raptor which we all know responds WELL to a bolt on pipe

but on my EX... since it was FREE... and I did notice a slight improvement... why not do some mods to the stock exhaust???

"come down to earth"? buddy, I've been here for 32 years... how about you? you seem to be the new smarta$$ in the forums...
either find a way not to flame or just try a little harder not to be a know-it-all OK??? I was just offering my advice... chill out or go to some other forum site, because this one will not tolerate your crap!
LOL, settle down there Slick. Im not saying your Self Mods arent any good. but what i was trying to imply is that an aftermarket Exhaust is much more effective than modifying the stock one. and where did you see a $500 Kit ??? because a GOOD kit only costs like 200-350, depends on if you want just a Silencer, or both Silencer and a pipe.
Hmm, it seems like your the one that is Flaming , not me[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 04-10-2003, 01:06 PM
Pro Rider

slick??? listen here Pman.... your quoting me, and trying to correct me (on more than one thread now) has started the flaming.... come down to earth??? noooooooooooo, that wasn't a negative comment now, was it???

you are free to state your opinions on these posts, but please.... leave your personal attacks for the real world, where it takes b@!!$ to run your mouth..... it's easy to hide behind that computer screen, isn't it?

Old 04-10-2003, 09:14 PM
Trailblazer

yeah his A$$ seems to do this alot

Quick Reply: Which silencer to get, 400EX??