Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

recon question

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2003, 07:50 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default recon question

I know the Recon has the thumb shifting thing but does it also have the regular foot shifting? And is it any bigger then the Kawasaki Bayou 220 or 250? Cause they are really small..

And does anybody have pics or videos of theirs?
thanks

Old 04-26-2003, 08:39 PM
Pro Rider
Default recon question

Yes the recon does have the foot shift available. The recons are just about the same size as a bayou 220 or 250. I don't have any pics of my recon but here is a link that has some on it: http://www.highlifter.com/wheeler_list.php3

Old 04-26-2003, 09:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default recon question

alreadyTaken, Sometimes a smaller quad is better depending on where you ride.

01redrecon, Do you have Bearclaws on the front and the back? Did you use the stock rims? What were the exact sizes of the front and back tires? I'm looking for new tires but I want to stay close to stock sizes. Thanks.

Anyone, Has anyone converted their drum brakes to disc? I see where High Lifter either has or will have conversions available.

Old 04-26-2003, 10:41 PM
Trailblazer
Default recon question

I will just be trail riding,mud. And I have heard on reviews people posted on other sites. Some people say that it is underpowered, how would the recon compare to the kawasaki bayou(220)?

Old 04-26-2003, 10:54 PM
Range Rover
Default recon question

Already Taken, You should look at the Suzuki Ozark. Its better than the Recon in every way for the same price! It is the same size as the Recon. It will smoke the Recon in a race and has better suspension, it has disc brakes, full floorboards etc. It also looks better in my opinion. You should check it out its the best 250 in its class.

Old 04-26-2003, 10:57 PM
RIP Dear Friend
Default recon question

Originally posted by: alreadyTaken
I will just be trail riding,mud. And I have heard on reviews people posted on other sites. Some people say that it is underpowered, how would the recon compare to the kawasaki bayou(220)?
Its not under powered for its size and would run circles around bayou. I have 99 Recon and I give it thumbs up. Below is the link for the recon test and the newer models have been improved with additions to power taken from the 250EX.

ChetRacer[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Hit here for ATV Connection test on 99 Recon

Old 04-27-2003, 12:23 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default recon question

When I bought my Recon new in 2001, I compared as many quads as I could in the 250cc/ $3500. range.
I compared the Recon, Bayou 220 (now a 250), Trail Boss, Beartracker (same as Timberwolf with a different name), Quadrunner 2x4 250, Arctic Cat 2x4 250. I also wanted the best price that I could get and I wanted it to be light. Although I think that Ozarkrider03 is trying to feel better about his purchase by suggesting the Ozark whenever someone is thinking about another model. I would have considered the Ozark if it was out back then. I looked at the quality of the parts on the atv's, price, reliability track record, weight, etc..... I found that the dealers wouldn't lower the price of the Trail Boss, it was also about a 100 lbs. more than the Recon, didn't have any extra speed considering it has more cc's. (Other reason's come in play but I'm not going to write all of them for each quad.) I thought if I was going to buy an Arctic Cat, I might as well buy the Suzuki because Arctic Cat uses Suzuki motors. But they were both on the heavy side. Almost 150 lbs. more than the Recon. I didn't like the looks of the Bayou and less cc's at the same weight of the Recon. I thought the Bayou looked a little shorter. The seat height on the Recon is about 2" higher than the Bayou 220. The Beartracker quality didn't look as good as the Recon. It just didn't look as nice. I didn't like the single a-arms, choke **** location, reverse handle location, and other things . (Even the look of the square frame tubing) In the Beartracker's defense it did have better towing and rack limits. But it was also about 50 lbs. heavier than the Recon. Look all around the machines to see how they are set up and if they have things like double a-arms. See if things can be reached (like reverse) when on steep inclines when you don't want to take your hands off the bars. I think that at least the Beartracker, Bayou 220 and 250 all have single a-arms. The Ozark is a newer choice in the 250cc range. I would be a little considered with reliability of the Ozark only because it is a new product. There have been some complaints about the positioning of the rear rack. Other things could surface but they may not. Another thing to consider is what company stands behind their products the best? Also, what dealer in your area will treat you the best. Go to a dealer that handles a bunch of different kinds of quads and ask the head person of the garage: What company stands by their products the best. I went to a place that handles Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Polaris, Kawasaki and the head person of the garage told me Honda was best. (his opinion) I think that a person can't go wrong with choosing the Recon. Mine has been a really good quad considering everything I've put it through.

Old 04-27-2003, 12:45 PM
Pro Rider
Default recon question

Coyotechaser--I just have bearclaws on the rear of my recon and yes they ae on stock rims. With about 5-6 psi in them the measure about 22 1/2" but I run about 4 psi aqnd they measure very close to 22" and 12" wide. I don't think highlifter is making the disc brakes for the recon, only for hondas that have 12" tall rims up front.

Old 04-27-2003, 02:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default recon question

01redrecon, thanks for the info. Have you found a tire that is close to stock for the front? I still have the stock Goodyear tires on but I think I'll need new tires at the end of this summer. Do you think that the bearclaws have worn better than the stock tires?

Old 04-27-2003, 03:09 PM
Pro Rider
Default recon question

The tire that seems to be a popular chioice for the front on 2wd wheelers is itp 489's. They are the stock tires that come on some of the polaris's. I think when its time to replace my front tires thats what I'll probally get. I found my bearlcaws wear better than the stock tires and after an estimated 3000km on mine they are showing only a slight amount of wear. I drive on mostly hardpack trails and do some amount of riding on pavement and mud. I am pretty hard on my tires because I spin them alot and do alot of donuts even of pavement, and the only wear I have noticed is that the lugs are rounding off a bit.

Quick Reply: recon question