Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400EX Jetting probs with K&N and White Bro pipe

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2003, 10:58 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400EX Jetting probs with K&N and White Bro pipe

Hi guys.

I've been looking around for some hours now trying to find information about my problem, I found some very usefull information, but I was unable to find a clear answer to my 2 problems.

The first problem is a problem I am having since some time. First, I had my jet kit installed by my dealer (I heard they are incompetent... so I dont know if everything is in order). After some time, I started noticing a little problem when pushing the trhottle, the motor is like dying for some fraction of seconds, and then run okay. It does that only after the motor is warmed up. Everytime I get the quad to a stop, and then push the throttle to restart it (no mather how hard I push the throttle and no mather if i'm in neutral or not) it does the same thing.

Problem #2
I recently bought a White Brother slip on pipe, so I replaced my original with this one. I am still having the old problem, but now another problem occurs. When I let the throttle go, I hear this backfiring noise. Not a big noise, but I can hear it, just enough to bug me up.

I changed my spark plug before the pipe installation, and the old one was ... Very dark. I have no idea of the size of the jet inside, it is either a 142 or 146, these 2 numbers are missing in my kit, so I guess they installed one and lost the other. I can also guess that the needle is at 3rd notch. I heard my elevation is around 700ft.

If someone have any idea how to solve one or both problems, please let me know.

I running stock exept this jet kit, white bro pipe and a k&n filter and prefilter.

Thank you.
Louis

Old 04-29-2003, 01:13 AM
Pro Rider

It has to be jetted again and this time it has to be done RIGHT!

Old 04-29-2003, 07:23 AM
Pro Rider

It sounds like the idle circuit is to lean. For a test, try pulling your choke up a bit and test throttle response. It could be cured by either a mixture screw adjustment or larger pilot jet. The backfiring is also a lean condition. Adjusting the mixture screw out a bit would probably cure that.

Brian

Old 04-29-2003, 08:22 AM
Range Rover

I have to say that after the machine is started (and sometimes very hard to start) it idle correctly. It's just when I push the throttle the engine is dying a bit, and when I release it after pushing it to the max, I hear this backfiring noise. But it idle correclty.

I never hard that backfiring noise with my original pipe.

Also, why would the plug be se back if I am running lean?

Do I have to only play with the mixture screw (and/or the pilot) or do I have to grow up in size for my main jet?

Old 04-29-2003, 11:34 AM
Pro Rider

If your plug is black it is more than likely a rich main jet. The idle circuit is a totally different. Honda's are notorious for being lean from the factory ( more than likely for emmision's). A larger pilot (or slow jet), would make it start easier. Just a mixture adjustment usually will make a difference in starting and backfiring.

Now with a new pipe on there you might not be running too rich on the main either.

Brian

Old 04-29-2003, 11:46 AM
Range Rover

Dusty, thanks for you answer, if I understand correctly, you suggest me to go up on the pilot jet, I should use something like a #40 pilot and play with the mixture screw to get the best results and not touch my main jet. I heard if you screw the mixture screw in, it will make the mixture leaner, and if you unscrew the mixture screw out, it'll make it richer.

The main jet was rich before my pipe was installed, so now with my new pipe, I should get a better airflow, so the fuel mixture should no longer be rich. My plug should be of a better color now.

Is it what you are saying?

Thanks.

Any input from others will also be appreciated.

Old 04-29-2003, 11:58 AM
Pro Rider

Sounds like you've got it. turning the mixture screw out an 1/8 to 1/4 turn will probably cure the backfire. I'm just guessing on the pilot for bogging, i went to a 42 and it did help mine. good luck

Brian

Old 04-29-2003, 05:45 PM
Range Rover

Thanks dusty.

Anyone else would like to say something?