Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

snowblowers

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2003, 10:15 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default snowblowers

Does any one know of a snowblowers attachment for an atv. I have seen on but can not seem to find it. Can you tell me some attachment manufactures so I can look there?

Thanks

Old 10-11-2003, 03:44 PM
Trailblazer
Old 10-12-2003, 11:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default snowblowers

i have a kimpex snow blower,with a 13 hp honda motor.work great,no weight on machine with the wheel setup that they use.takes a while to get use to.

Old 10-13-2003, 11:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default snowblowers

try your local honda dealership,,,,,and take lots of money they aint cheap

Old 10-14-2003, 10:14 PM
Pro Rider
Default snowblowers

So all in all which is better a blower or a blade? Is there a “depth” figure one could use as a guideline for when a blower or blade would be more appropriate?

I’m going to be buying a large bore 600+ class ATV to use for snow clearing (among other things) and I have wondered just how well a blade would work vs. a blower. Our snows are rarely over 12 inches at a time but the drifts can get quite large and the road plows can plow shut the drive pretty badly. My gravel lane to the road is several hundred feet long and I also have a 20-foot or so paved driveway. I wonder which would be best for my application a plow or a blower? I would prefer to use a blade simply for the cost issue and plus all the regular walk behind blowers I have seen do not clean to the pavement very well. My old one left a nice layer of snow that was perfect for making a sheet of ice if the conditions were right. With a blade you could scrape a little cleaner I would assume. With chains and 4 wheel drive locked in I would think you could push through a healthy snowdrift or the pile the county plow leaves in the lane entrance.

Any advice?

Old 10-14-2003, 10:58 PM
Trailblazer
Default snowblowers

CaptainQuint:

As posted in a previous post:

"I had a 60" plow I made. My plow was a tilt style with springs and could be positioned straight, 30 degrees left, or 30 degrees right. I have a 2 car wide X 200 foot "u" shaped driveway to the house and a 250 foot driveway off the "u" to my toy shop out back. I live in Northern New Brunswick, Canada were we get snow from @ Mid december and it stays until @ Mid April. Up here its called "white Gold" for the snowmobile enthusiast and we get on average @ 4 feet of it, but I 've seen were we get 3 ft deep snow storms also...
My bike is a 97 explorer 4x4 with snow chains with ice grippers on each wheel and I never had a problem of pushing the snow... The problem is were you push it to!!! If you push to a certain spot in the yard at the beginning of the winter, by the end of winter, your not pushing it there no more.. each time you push, the bank keeps getting higher and also harder. The snow melts some on nice days and packs when it freezes again. The wet snow also freezes hard. After a while you just push up to your original bank but a little away and it keeps doing this, by the end of winter the drive way shrinks in length because it just gets hard banging into the hard packed banks.
So I guess it also depends on the shape of your driveway, mine because of the "U" shape was very difficult with the plow especially in the deep storms. just a note, four years ago, I sold the plow and bought a Kimpex 13 hp front mount snowblower. No more bank problems and about three times faster than the plow. Hope this helps."

also as per this previous post :

"If you go to "my page" you'll see a pic of my bike and blower, notice that its 4wd and "ICE CHAINED", I used to have a plow, but due to the slope of my driveway, once you plowed and people drove on it a while (especially when it got warm in the day, then cold at night), the driveway would get awfully slippery, then it would snow, now when you go to plow heavy snow, your on ice....the AWD helped alot, but nothing goes were a 4wd goes with chains on each wheel......

the blower replaced the plow because of the way the driveway runs (I have a 2 car wide X 200 foot "u" shaped driveway to the house and a 250 foot driveway off the "u" to my toy shop out back. I live in Northern New Brunswick, Canada were we get snow from @ Mid december and it stays until @ Mid April.) and because its easier to blow than to push snow for a few hundred feet."

Hope this helps in your decision making...

...Honcho.

Old 10-21-2003, 04:44 AM
Pro Rider
Default snowblowers

Excellent. Helps a lot. I think I’ll give the plow a shot and if it doesn’t do the job I’ll break down and buy a blower. The blade may also come in handy for other things like spreading out gravel on the driveway etc. Now to build or buy a sander for the ATV. I’ve thought about a pull behind set-up or maybe pressing a fertilizer spreader into service as a sander. Then again a 5 gallon bucket with a scoop to spread sand on the slick spots would probably be more practical. Of course then I don’t get to sit around in my garage playing around with my tools and building things, which kinda takes all the fun out of it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]