Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Smart Beavers

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2004, 10:06 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smart Beavers

Beavers have come back to our pond recently. I have been sitting at dusk for several days without seeing anything yet. BRRRRR it is cold. The Beavers ruined our dam 6 years ago, $5000.00 to fix it.

Old 02-13-2004, 10:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Smart Beavers

Would your state game commision come in and relocate them for you? My neighbor had some removed because they were cutting down all her trees. They use a wire trap that closes around them.

Old 02-13-2004, 10:49 PM
Trailblazer
Default Smart Beavers

The state trappers will come out and do a little bit. They are too busy to stay with it until they get them all. We have had them here 2 times before and they caught a couple of them and left. I had to shoot the remaining ones. In Oklahoma, they don't relocate them, they use conibear lethal traps. Maybe it is not working yet is because it is really cold weather lately. Usually when the beavers come around I can sit down by the pond for a few evenings and shoot them. That usually works for about 6-8 months before more come.

Old 02-14-2004, 02:24 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Smart Beavers

I live too far away but I wish I could relocate them to some game lands near here. There is a large pond or small lake up on top of the mountain in the middle of the game lands. The beavers were keeping it filled with water. Now it is slowly getting smaller because all the beavers moved out or were killed. Their dam is slowly deteriorating.

Old 02-15-2004, 07:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Smart Beavers

Did you say you have a swisher bucket? How Do You Like It? I'm thinking of getting one.

Old 02-15-2004, 08:14 PM
Trailblazer
Default Smart Beavers

I do have a swisher bucket used with the warn 2.5 winch that came with the grizzly. I have not used the swisher bucket a lot, just a couple of times. I used it to move around some gravel and it worked oK. It will not pick up huge amounts of rock. It was very helpful in moving gravel from a pile to the driveway. I also used it to move some dirt around. Same story, you have to take several smaller bites.

Old 02-15-2004, 10:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Smart Beavers

Outdoornut- Does the Tennessee Mountain Cur go by any other names? It kinda reminds me of the Perdiguero Portugueso. (Except a different color)

Old 02-15-2004, 10:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Smart Beavers

Thanks for the info on the bucket.

Old 02-15-2004, 10:39 PM
Trailblazer
Default Smart Beavers

The mountain cur is a UKC recognized breed. The original mountain cur breeders association has registered them since the late 50's. About 50% are natural bobtailed, and many have double dewclaws on their feet.

They are a scent hunting dog bred for treeing game. Susie is my buddy, she loves to go anywhere I go. She weighs about 35lbs, coming from the Streak line of Mountain Curs.

Old 02-16-2004, 01:51 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Smart Beavers

I think I've read about the breed somewhere. I have about 5 or 6 different dog breed books. Three are directed towards AKC including the "Big" AKC book. Two are directed towards a little of everything. I remember seeing the breed somewhere but I can't remember where. Do you know if the UKC puts out a book that is similar to the AKC book? I used to have an American Bulldog which was UKC.

Quick Reply: Smart Beavers