Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Lost a good blood trail on a 8-point muley

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 06:20 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost a good blood trail on a 8-point muley

HAHAHA, I am supprized you didn't. I think that had something to do with Heywood getting banned for a while. I loved reading that and fighting with the idiots that posted there.

Old 10-21-2004, 06:37 AM
Pro Rider

It's the middle of the day here, what's your excuse for being up this late.

Old 10-21-2004, 08:34 AM
Pro Rider

WyoBullRydr, Sorry to hear you lost the animal. It does sound like a leg hit if the blood was only a foot off the ground, But I too have seen a few three legged deer that survived. Don't beat yourself up to bad because those things happen to every hunter at some point . Any hunter that hunts long enough will find this out the hard way. You feel bad that it happened at that means something and you tried your best to recover it. I know people that wouldn''t of even looked after the deer started only bleeding a drop here and there. If it doesn't survive then it was meant to be food for some other animals.

Old 10-21-2004, 09:01 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Starky
It's the middle of the day here, what's your excuse for being up this late.
Working night shift in the jail

Old 10-21-2004, 09:02 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Thunderbolt
WyoBullRydr, Sorry to hear you lost the animal. It does sound like a leg hit if the blood was only a foot off the ground, But I too have seen a few three legged deer that survived. Don't beat yourself up to bad because those things happen to every hunter at some point . Any hunter that hunts long enough will find this out the hard way. You feel bad that it happened at that means something and you tried your best to recover it. I know people that wouldn''t of even looked after the deer started only bleeding a drop here and there. If it doesn't survive then it was meant to be food for some other animals.
I apreciate the sentiment. I think you are right and I figure I just gave it back to the forest. Kind of a spiritual reasoning I guess, but it helps me sleep at night.

Old 10-21-2004, 09:25 AM
Pro Rider

Wyo,
Did the vents on your airbox do anything for the Griz. I was going to do the same thing but didn't see the point unless I replaced the pipe. What do you think of those stock tires.

Old 10-21-2004, 09:41 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Wyo...you seem like a responsible hunter, so I gotta ask, why even take a spine shot? Why not take a vital shot?

Old 10-21-2004, 10:04 AM
Pro Rider

I don't think he tried for the spine, he just thought he hit it in the spine area. After doing some tracking, he realized he hit it in the leg. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 10-22-2004, 02:04 AM
Pro Rider

Leg spine whatever, if you can't handle losing deer get your meat at the store. Nobody wants to lose a deer, but the only way to prevent it is not to hunt. I always thought I was somewhat of a marksman and a Joe hunter kind of a guy. I was usually bagging on people who lost deer and giving them crap and then it happened to me. Nice shot a tad under 200 yd on a 3 point (that's 8 points to you Eastern folk) Mule deer with a good spread. Blood all over the bushes, then puddles, then drops, then blood in a bed area, then nothing. I could not believe anything could live after loosing that much blood. I looked for a day and a half and went back in area just to see if vultures or crows found it, nothing. I trailed that guy for about 3 miles before I completely lost the trail for good.

Now I'm older and a little wiser and I have shot enough animals to know two things: 1- Animals have an amazing will to survive, and 2- Bad things happen, bullets fail, get deflected, glance off bone at weird angles and all kinds of other things.

Fortunately to this day that is the only animal I have not recovered, but ..... things happen!

Old 10-22-2004, 02:19 AM
Pro Rider

N. Dakota like other northern states have a lot of bow hunters. It's not uncommon to harvest a deer and find a broadhead or a wound from a broadhead in the animal. It's an unfortunate part of the sport. Even with all the practice in the world and all the preperation, stuff still happens.

Quick Reply: Lost a good blood trail on a 8-point muley