Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

looking for a .45acp revolver

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 05:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for a .45acp revolver

Stick with the S&W 625. The Taurus will shoot itself as loose as a goose if you do lots of shooting. S&W is making a very sweet 625 in cooperation with Jerry Miculek. It sports the stainless glass bead finished frame, 4' bbl, adjustable sites, and Jerry's signature "Broomhandle" grip made by Hogue Grips. It's moonclipped and ready to go. I have a 625-4 that is moonclipped but it has the 5" bbl on it. Another that you should consider if you can find it, I believe they are building it still but might be in 44 Mag right now, is the 625 Mountain Gun in 45 Colt. I don't think they ever chambered it in 45 ACP however. It has a 4" bbl with a half lug and is a bit lighter and designed for carry. I have a couple of those too in 44 Mag and 45 Colt. They are my mainstay as hunting sidearms. Just a thought.

Also, look for older 625's (5 years plus) as they will have the firing pin mounted on the hammer without the transfer bar. They sport the older, forged and case hardened trigger/hammer parts and came out of the factory with very nice triggers. The newer MIM trigger parts aren't quite as sweet out of the box but can be made so by a competent gunsmith for around $40 bucks give or take.

Good luck!

To add: The S&W Gun Control deal that was spoke of earlier never happened. That was an agreement with Bill Clinton and Tompkins Ltd who was the British owner of S&W at the time. Nothing ever happened with it and it just faded away when S&W became wholly owned by an American Company again. That's been years ago anyway.

If you want to get pissed at someone and stay pissed, look to Colt Arms. At the same time they (Colt) turned tail and ran from the entire market! Do you remember that? They completely QUIT making ANY firearm that was to be sold to the Public and concentrated on Government contracts only!!! It's funny because people were scrambling to buy up all that was left on the shelves and paying way more than any Colt 1911 would ever be worth! It was a good move by Colt because they hadn't built a decent, market competitive pistol in years...not since the old 70 Series Government which was the base frame for many 1911 Race Guns. That 1991 Frame was a joke! Now that they're back at it in a minor way, they're history. Springfield Armory, Kimber, ParaOrd, and some other custom shops build a much better gun than Colt was ever capable and at a cheaper price!