ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Hunting, Trapping, Game Management (https://atvconnection.com/forums/hunting-trapping-game-management/)
-   -   is there such a thing as a 50 caliber hunting rifle? (https://atvconnection.com/forums/hunting-trapping-game-management/204746-there-such-thing-50-caliber-hunting-rifle.html)

ThrashAndCrash 05-25-2005 01:14 PM

is there such a thing as a 50 caliber hunting rifle?

Remington, Winchester, and Ruger has the M77® Mark II Deluxe Magnum but that is $1900-ouch! you can usually get ahold of both calibers through any gun store but only the big boys (bass pro, ect) are going to have one in the store....If you get the winchester......take the stock butt-pad and throw it in the trash! buy a good quality screw on one; trust me![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

extremerider2811 05-25-2005 02:31 PM

thanks alot man, i could probably get that at bass pro shops or cabela's, but i would not use that fire arm on anything smaller than a moose! ha ha, thats a big cartridge, would you reccomend getting that big of a cartdrige? my 300 remington Ultra magnum will take any animal in the north american continent with ease.

opinions????

ThrashAndCrash 05-25-2005 02:42 PM

LOL, I was wondering why you asked............................Your 300 is great for anything unless you go to a different continent. If you don't already...look into reloading to make your catriges more usefull. My .338 can be loaded from 160 to 300 gr.

CobraR6 05-26-2005 10:45 AM

Berretta has a .375 H&H mag. But since its a Berretta Im sure you will pay alot more though.

MrDumass 05-27-2005 05:45 PM

Your 300 ultra mag is all you will ever need.

BryceGTX 05-27-2005 10:00 PM

Don't know, the Weatherby 460 must be one mean weapon. With 500 gr and 2500 ft/sec, it must be near the top.
.460 Weatherby Magnum
Hope this helps you
BryceGTX

2TV 05-28-2005 03:26 AM

The .50 BMG will start a 750 grain bullet at 2800 fps. That produces around 13500 ft lbs of energy at the muzzle. Downrange at 1000 yards it still packs a wallop of over 6400 ft lbs which is only a little less (by about 500 ft lbs) than what a 460 Weatherby produces at the muzzle!

Here is the lightest 50 BMG rifle that I've seen yet. I've seen a picture of someone shoulder firing a custom made 50 BMG that had a wooden stock and looked just like a conventional rifle (only bigger). The only retail source for manufactured soft point bullets I've found so far has been Hawk Bullets. They have two 700 grain spitzer versions, each has a different jacket thickness. Also, here is a book about .50 BMG shooting. There are also various clubs / organizations that specialize in 50 caliber shooting (the most prominent is probably the Fifty Caliber Shooters Association.

I didn't get my 50 BMG for hunting though, I just use it for target shooting / plinking (engine blocks or other tough material that requires a tractor to put in place, i.e. something VERY heavy). Besides, mine is no lightweight as with scope and all it weighs about 46 pounds (too heavy for practical shoulder firing from the free-hand position)...