Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

is there such a thing as a 50 caliber hunting rifle?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 11:33 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is there such a thing as a 50 caliber hunting rifle?

i've heard of them but i'm never actually seen one, and if i were to get one it would be bolt action. but what is the closest caliber to a 50 caliber? i think its the 460, but i do not know

if you could give me a webpage address or a picture that would be great

thanks

Old 05-24-2005, 12:01 PM
Pro Rider

I know of people shooting ridge to ridge near where I live with 50 cals. And that is deer hunting. I do not have a we address or anything. It might even be a single shot im not sure. But there are hunting rifles in 50 cal. Whether they are single shot, bolt, I dont know. Berret makes 50 cals, do a search on them and see what you can come up with.

Old 05-24-2005, 12:12 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Athens Archery Field Staff
Best lunch hour ever!

What the hell would you use a 50 cal for deer hunting for? That cartridge would destroy a deer. They use those for sniping at ranges out to a mile[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] They can pierce armor! They make a single shot bolt action. They make auto's to. Most people use them for target shooting only. Single shot bolt action conversions can be found in some of the retail stores like Cabelas. The other calibers are not even close to the .50 cal. Best just stick with the average calibers for deer hunting.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-24-2005, 12:53 PM
Pro Rider

Thats what I say. I couldnt even afford the shells let alone the gun[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]. My 30-06 gets the job done.

Old 05-24-2005, 01:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well in .50 caliber there are many ways to go, the barrett mentioned earlieris one. But there are others. Go to Gunbroker.com We have quite a few here at work and they work well for there intended purpose- like shooting through cars and buildings, but I work in Iraq and they frown on that back in the states. For hunting it has limited application the single shot weighs about 30 lbs. and the rounds are about $3.00 apiece. If you want to hunt with a .50 try a muzzleloader, there are lots of them and it is great fun

Old 05-24-2005, 02:02 PM
Pro Rider

i was just wondering anyways i wouldn't hunt deer with that anyways, maybe cape buffalo, but it would be nice to own one for target practice, my 300 remington ultra magnum will drop a cape buffalo probably with a 180 grain bullet, but its just out of curiosity, Do you guys think the 300 is pretty strong, i read about the .416 and the .460 those are strong, now what would you of said if i said i was hunting squirrel with a 20 MM? ha ha

Old 05-24-2005, 02:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: extremerider2811
i was just wondering anyways i wouldn't hunt deer with that anyways, maybe cape buffalo, but it would be nice to own one for target practice, my 300 remington ultra magnum will drop a cape buffalo probably with a 180 grain bullet, but its just out of curiosity, Do you guys think the 300 is pretty strong, i read about the .416 and the .460 those are strong, now what would you of said if i said i was hunting squirrel with a 20 MM? ha ha
Just want to add something here, because it is a topic of my intrest.....I think the 375 H&H is the smallest allowed for the Cape Buffalo. I own a 338 Win Mag for my future bear hunt (still dreaming) and with the 338 I can drop everything BUT cape buffalo, elephant, and Rino.
The 300 is plenty strong for anything in North America.

Old 05-24-2005, 04:08 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: tracman
Well in .50 caliber there are many ways to go, the barrett mentioned earlieris one. But there are others. Go to Gunbroker.com We have quite a few here at work and they work well for there intended purpose- like shooting through cars and buildings, but I work in Iraq and they frown on that back in the states. For hunting it has limited application the single shot weighs about 30 lbs. and the rounds are about $3.00 apiece. If you want to hunt with a .50 try a muzzleloader, there are lots of them and it is great fun
Yea, I forgot about Gun Broker. THat is a good place to get information on guns and round about prices. You can also buy them off there, if you dont mind buying a gun off the internet.

Old 05-25-2005, 12:18 AM
Range Rover

I have a pic of a guy shooting a blackpowder 50 into a buffalo. It stood it up and sat it on its a$$.

Old 05-25-2005, 11:36 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ThrashAndCrashUntilItsTrash
Originally posted by: extremerider2811
Just want to add something here, because it is a topic of my intrest.....I think the 375 H&H is the smallest allowed for the Cape Buffalo. I own a 338 Win Mag for my future bear hunt (still dreaming) and with the 338 I can drop everything BUT cape buffalo, elephant, and Rino.
The 300 is plenty strong for anything in North America.

Yes i did know that the 375 was the smallest cardtridge allowed for cape buffalo, can i get a 338, or 375 at my local fleet farm or is it at like gander mountain or something? what gun manufactures make those calibers, and i will stress that i will not use my 300 remington ultra magnum on anything smaller than a deer, thje biggest game i will take down is a grizzly bear, i could go bigger but grizzly is the biggest. where can i get those rifles? does remington make them?

thanks

Quick Reply: is there such a thing as a 50 caliber hunting rifle?