Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

tresspassers cut down all the trees

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 12:03 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tresspassers cut down all the trees

ok we got a bunch of hunting land that we have spent lots of time and money on. got a phone call tonight that some guy came onto our land and cut down all the trees behind my deerstand. the deerstand is about 50 yards from a very old road that is just used for a groomed snowmobile trail and i left all them trees there so you can't see my deerstand. i am going up there tomorrow but i guess this guy went in there with a skidder and a sheer and cut the whole works down. if you look in my pictures you will see one of my deerstand and i guess all them trees you see in the background are no longer there. we did find out who it was cause he tried taking his skidder across the ditch on the other side and burried it and some guys found out who it was and called us so we are heading up there tomarrow to assess the situation and then contact the law enforcement ageancy. i guess he cut down all of them and there must have been about 100 to 150 popple trees (don't think i spelt popple right). i know there was a no tresspassing sign right on the road right behind my stand which i think was nailed to a tree and even though doesn't matter cause in minnesota you can't legally have a permanent deerstand on state land anyways. just had to vent a lil i am so upset i will let ya know what my findings are tomorrow when i see it maybe i will take some pics with my cell phone and post them on here. which brings me back to one of my favorite says is that some people are only alive cause it is illegal to shoot them [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-03-2006, 04:17 AM
Pro Rider

That sucks. Too bad you couldn't have caught him and put a serious hurtin on him.

Old 01-03-2006, 08:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

Don't know what the law allows in your state but a friend of ours recovered four times the actual value of the timber cut in civil court. This was after the bad guys got rapped real hard in criminal court for stealing the trees and trespass.

If those poppler trees grow as fast there as they do hear you should have decent regrowth in about five years. Good luck.

Old 01-03-2006, 10:13 PM
Pro Rider

well i drove up there after work today and he sheered off about 12 trees and took out all the brush. not as severe as i thought it was but still angered me that now from this groomed snowmobile trail my deerstand sticks out like a sore thumb. i will be calling the guy and letting him know of my displeasure but it isn't worth taking the guy to court over. and well apparently popple trees must grow fast everywhere cause like you said within about 5 years my stand will be kinda covered again with young trees it is just the disrespect for private property that got to me.

Old 01-03-2006, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider

I would at least try and get somesort of compensation for what he did.

Old 01-04-2006, 01:43 AM
Pro Rider

I didn't realize you know the guy that did it. That's still BS.

Old 01-05-2006, 04:08 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: tencubed
Don't know what the law allows in your state but a friend of ours recovered four times the actual value of the timber cut in civil court. This was after the bad guys got rapped real hard in criminal court for stealing the trees and trespass.
We have similar legislation in Oregon. And as our county sheriff is an elected position, landowners receive immediate attention on trespassing complaints.

Old 01-05-2006, 08:31 PM
Range Rover

Who's to say this guy won't do this again? I would at the very least file some type of complaint about it just so there is a record of it happening.

Old 01-05-2006, 11:19 PM
Pro Rider

i don't know the guy never even heard of his name but he will get talked to about this very sternly and he will be knowen if he does this again that we will be getting the law involved specially when one of the tree's he cut down had one of our no tresspassing signs on it. i wanted to do a lil more but my father decided not to and well the land is in his name for now but it sounds like in the near future it will be in my name then i guess i would have the say but i still don't think i would take him to court over this i mean what has become of our society to wanna try to sue someone for every lil thing even though it was very wrong. sometimes i good asschewing can be sufficient and theraputic and both parties can go away with all their money intact. if it would have been worse say if he would have cut down 20 to 24 trees instead of 10 to 12 then we would have pursued it. i think more then anything it is unreal how someone can be this stupid lol

Old 01-06-2006, 12:40 AM
Pro Rider

As a retired LE, I would research it a bit to find out the value of those trees. A guy cut some trees here in MO that were on a neighbors land because they were in the way of where he wanted to point his satellite dish. The owner got about $400 per tree. Now these were oak trees but the point is mature trees do have value.

I would get some restitution from the guy, be it in cash, paying for replanting of trees, or maybe putting his dozer to work for some project you want done. Either way, take lots of photos and make a police report, even if no charges are pressed. You can make an information- only report even though a couple of crimes were committed. You never know when a record of this event will be needed.

Quick Reply: tresspassers cut down all the trees