Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

want to buy a atv disc system for food plots

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 05:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default want to buy a atv disc system for food plots

Anyone have any suggestions on which disc sets actually work well? I have heard numerous stories and i do not want to waste money on something not worth the price. I can get a used BioLogic Flip Disc, but i have heard it is not heavy enough and does not work well if the ground is not already broken or if the ground has vegetation on it? Anyone ever used one with success? What brand and model have you used? Any respoinse will help.

Old 06-01-2006, 10:31 AM
Range Rover

Take a look at my pics and you will see what I use. Didn't like any of the systems already out there.

I am heading out of town now or I would go into a further description of the problems. In about 10 days when I get back I can go into a further discussion on it.

Old 06-01-2006, 10:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just bought an 8 blade disker from lowes for clearance price of $138.00. I also got a $169.00 sleave hitch for $20.00.For raising and lowering implements.It was meant for garden tractors but for $20.00 I bought it.It will take conciderably longer to fabricate it to my 06--sp-500,so I'me going to welt an axle frame on top of the discer with a couple wheels from harbor frieght for now,with a rotating axle an the hitch end to rotate it from road to woods.With the weight of the wheels and cinder blocks and some extra runnin around,I think this will work.Tryin it out july 4th,will post back my results.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-06-2006, 12:00 PM
Trailblazer

Steve.....I recently purchased the Cycle Country 3 point system with the moldboard plow and disc for setting up foodplots. Once you figure out the correct settings of the implements, it does a great job. I was lucky and found this system used once/great condition for $750! Sometimes CC has a sale and you can get the stuff for $1,500. Can't justify paying the full price of $2,000+. At that price you are better off buying a small tractor for $3-4,000.

Two things I would recommend regardless of what ATV based system you use:

#1. KILL the grass/weeds weeks/months in advance with a good killer like RoundUp Professional. Makes life alot easier and better results.
If you live in rocky soil get ready to pick up ROCKS. Everytime I used the disc or plow a bunch of large rocks were kicked up. So after every pass we picked up a big amount of rocks.
#2. After we got the soil deep enough we rolled it, then seeded and then rolled it again. Now we pray for sunny days to germinate the seed.