Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Snow Removal with Plow

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 01:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow Removal with Plow

Hi - I just joined the forum.

I have and 03 Kodiak 450 4x4 with the swisher set up and bucket.

Last week some f....n a...hole broke into my shed and stole my snow blower while I was away on vacation.

I was going to order the swisher plow since I have the set up already.

I live in MA, so ocassional we get 1'-2' dumping of snow. I was able to handle this with no problems with the snow blower. Will a plow set up be able to hadle this as well or I am better off getting another snow blower?

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-21-2006, 01:16 PM
Pro Rider

A snowplow on an ATV won't handle that much snow. Problem is that once you start pushing the snow and it piles up, you're screwed. ATV's don't plow fast enough to actually throw the snow thereby avoiding build-up. Some might argue that you can do 12" with it, but 24" is definitely out of the question.

I had a Moose snowplow on my Rancher and it did fairly well with six inches or less. Whenever the forecast called for more than that, I always plowed during the snowfall to keep the depth down. Our average snowfall is around 160 inches and we broke 300 inches two years ago. I keep a snowblower for the times when the ATV can't handle it and for snow drifts that are much to tall and dense.

Good luck.

Old 08-21-2006, 05:17 PM
Range Rover

My experience is a little different than sheepdogs but to answer your question, yes and no.

I don't have a clue how the Swisher setup will work. I started out with a Cycle Country blade and later went with the Warn blade which from my experience is better. I have also been around a few of the Moose plows but didn't like the extra weight of them. The more the blade weights the less snow you will be able to push which in a lot of cases doesn't matter but in my case it does matter.

I typically don't even bother pushing unless there is 6" or more. I have pushed up to 2' of snow but it is tough going and you have to be able to work the blade. Several times each year the snow will accumulate over the blade height of 16" before I have a chance to push it. This usually isn't a problem once you have learned how to do it and I am assuming you have the right setup for it which means you have to be able to keep the blade from floating.

Like sheepdog I try to push before the snow gets too deep, usually between 6" and 1 ft. I also have a lot of stock pile area to push it into. If you look at my pictures you will see what I mean.

Old 08-23-2006, 12:24 PM
Range Rover

that much snow will be fine with a kodiak. i plow that much but i only take about 2 feet at a time with moms kodiak

Old 08-23-2006, 01:13 PM
Pro Rider

Nice pics Reb2.

Old 08-23-2006, 02:38 PM
Pro Rider

I WISH we got that much snow to have to worry about that.

Old 08-24-2006, 02:04 PM
Range Rover

Thanks Sheepdog, I have to give the camera credit though, it made up for my lack of ability.

Upnort, that much snow gets old really quick. At times I have to push once to twice a day for a week straight just to keep up then clean up on the weekends. I get a kick out of people that buy a place here in the summer, move in but after the first winter they are gone. Maybe that is why I like it.

Old 09-04-2006, 01:09 PM
Trailblazer

Hi just bought the new 700 grizz was wondering how you liked the swisher system and how does the universal mounting system hook up to the wheeler in the front? I live in northern Wisconsin plan on getting the bucket and the blade. Would it be possible to push snow with the bucket? Thanks for any info.

Old 09-04-2006, 04:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

There are a couple of brackets that bolt to the lower control arms of the 4x4. Then you attach the frame assembly to the brackets using a couple of pins.

I never tried to push snow with the bucket.

Old 09-04-2006, 07:07 PM
Trailblazer

Theres no drilling right. Is it like a clamp around the a arms with a bolt. Then you use pins for the quick set up.

Quick Reply: Snow Removal with Plow