Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

ATV for Ice Fishing, Auger mount set-ups, good snow/ice tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 07:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV for Ice Fishing, Auger mount set-ups, good snow/ice tires

I am awaiting the upcoming hard-water season and will be using our ATV's for Ice fishing, what is the best options you have found for an auger mount?

Also what work well for tires snow/ice?

Thanks in advance,
Josh

Old 09-11-2006, 01:21 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

Don't know what kind of ice auger you are talking about but if you mean a one or two man gas powered type then what a neighbor of ours does may work. He mounts his post hole digger in a box on the rear rack with the auger removed. His attaches with just a pin. The auger is carried alongside the powerhead. The box he made is built so the handles of the powerhead stick out thru slots and keep things in place. Very simple setup and he has been using it for years.

Old 09-11-2006, 10:21 AM
Pro Rider

Looking for something for an easy in/out. I currently have a Strikemaster Lazer Mag Xpress with 8" blade. Just something with easy access for drilling holes to find the fish. somedays I'll drill 5 holes other days 150.

Old 09-14-2006, 12:39 AM
Trailblazer

Most gun racks will do the job, just look at them and make sure that the grips are wide enough to hole the shaft, we only use the powerhead side of the shaft for strapping it in, and then we just rest the other side in the other grip. It works great as long as your not bajaing the lake at 65 MPH. Just my .02.

Josh

Old 09-14-2006, 03:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

Originally posted by: HickFisher2005
Most gun racks will do the job, just look at them and make sure that the grips are wide enough to hole the shaft, we only use the powerhead side of the shaft for strapping it in, and then we just rest the other side in the other grip. It works great as long as your not bajaing the lake at 65 MPH. Just my .02.

Josh
Hmmm. That makes sense. I was thinking rough ground but with ice fishing you are running smooth and level all the time or at least pretty much so. Never done that so something new for me. You wouldn't need the extra strap down security that traipsing around in the mountains requires.

Old 10-05-2006, 10:00 PM
Pro Rider

Ice auger carrier

I also seen one somewhere that mounted to the side of a cargo box, basically it was a large tube you slide the auger down in.

Old 10-05-2006, 10:01 PM
Pro Rider

One at Northern tool also

Old 10-06-2006, 11:09 AM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

Originally posted by: SomethingFishy
I am awaiting the upcoming hard-water season and will be using our ATV's for Ice fishing, what is the best options you have found for an auger mount?

Also what work well for tires snow/ice?

Thanks in advance,
Josh
Hey, we belong to the same ATV club! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

DOesn't Polaris have an attachement for their Lock-n-ride system? It is a good seller for Arctic Cat's MRP racks, so I would think Polaris would have one too.

Old 10-06-2006, 12:14 PM
Pro Rider

Hey, we belong to the same ATV club! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

DOesn't Polaris have an attachement for their Lock-n-ride system? It is a good seller for Arctic Cat's MRP racks, so I would think Polaris would have one too.
Unfortunately Polaris does not make any sort of Ice Auger Holder, yet. They have a lock and ride gun scabbard but nothing for an auger.

I will probably just use one of the generic options for my front rack as my back rack is full.

Are you going on the Club Ride on October 21st? We will be there, also my cousin, brother, and some other people may join us out of Little Falls.

I see you also have a sled, do you do much riding (pending snow)? I just purchased a new sled last night. I got a 2006 Polaris 500 XCSP.

Old 10-06-2006, 01:53 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

Originally posted by: SomethingFishy

Unfortunately Polaris does not make any sort of Ice Auger Holder, yet. They have a lock and ride gun scabbard but nothing for an auger.

I will probably just use one of the generic options for my front rack as my back rack is full.

Are you going on the Club Ride on October 21st? We will be there, also my cousin, brother, and some other people may join us out of Little Falls.

I see you also have a sled, do you do much riding (pending snow)? I just purchased a new sled last night. I got a 2006 Polaris 500 XCSP.
We just moved down here to St Cloud this year, so I really havn't taking my ATV out around here much, and I haven't put any miles on my snowmobile. The next several weekends I am busywith hunting - and a trip to Greece [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] so I probably won't be doing a ride with the group until the spring. I actully only attended 1 meeting so far too [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Are there some good sled trails around here???? I hope so. As much as I like my ATV, there is just something about snowmobiling that can't be beat [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: ATV for Ice Fishing, Auger mount set-ups, good snow/ice tires