ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Hunting, Trapping, Game Management (https://atvconnection.com/forums/hunting-trapping-game-management/)
-   -   anyone get a new deer rifle? (https://atvconnection.com/forums/hunting-trapping-game-management/251903-anyone-get-new-deer-rifle.html)

Lowrangerider 10-20-2006 09:31 AM

anyone get a new deer rifle?

okiedude,
I actually use DT ammo for all of my 10mm hunting needs. This year I think I am going to use the 215gr Hardcast lead bullet or maybe the beartooth, I'm not quite sure yet. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I love the stuff but also want to start loading my own. I hear you can load them even hotter then DT does.

I purchased the Slide, Barrel, and SS Recoil guide rod and spring from Lone Wolf Dist.
It is a Glock 21 (.45acp) Slide and a 45/10mm barrel ( .45 acp outside barrel dia. 10mm bore size) So you use the frame from your Glock 20 and the slide will fit on that perfect. This also allows you to buy another barrel some different magazines and shoot .45acp, .45 super, and some others that I cant think of right now.
http://www.lonewolfdist.com/ You will need to call them as the slide is not on the web page.
They had a VERY limited amount of the slides left (Under 10!!!) and they do not know when more will be made. Mine is #0007 I got lucky. Would have been better if it was 007 but I can live with it.

Cost is not cheap but we are talking about a totally custom pistol now. Will run you a little over $700 for the whole setup if I remember correctly.

Go to Glocktalk.com and search/look in the LongSlide and 10 Ring Forums. Everyone that has a Glock 20 Longslide or has shot one either wants one or has one.
The longslide also has more weight to it so I soaks up the power of fully loaded 10mm's and makes so you could shoot hundreds of rounds without fatigue.

Let me know if you want to hear more, I could go on and on about this thing. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

okiedude 10-20-2006 11:17 PM

Awww.....captian...it will get better!

Lowrangerider, I would like to hear more. I have had a Glock 36 for about 4 years, but just bought this 20. The 10mm really intrigues me.

Ginnis 10-21-2006 09:32 PM

I just got a Charles Daly 30-06 this past summer. First gun I bought by myself. It's black synthetic stock bolt action. Nice little gun, doesn't way much or kick much for that matter. I also have the M-44for deer and the 20 gague for small game and birds.

GoodOleBoy 10-24-2006 04:27 AM

I got a new remington 7600 pump action in 30-06. Have not fired it as of yet, and deer season is 10 days away. I may not even use it this year, since I got a nice bi-pod for my sks. I feel the bipod really helps with accuracy and a well placed shot with the bidpod will be equvilent to a half arse shot with my 30-06.

weez440 10-24-2006 10:03 PM

i throttled 14 shots through my short mag on sunday and feel very comfy with it even after the 2nd shot. at 100 yards i got it about 1.5 inches high. and why not use it good ole? get out there and shoot it a lil, it is kind of a waste to get a new gun and not use it.

ShadyRascal 10-25-2006 05:05 PM

I bought a Ruger M77 in 260 Remington this year, for the kids to use. I really like it, 308 case you know, 120 grain handloads going 2800 fps makes a real nice deer/elk load with little recoil. Got it to shoot pretty good with some work, just about 1" to 1.2" groups if I do my part. Mostly though I tote my trusty BDL 270 which is super accurate, love that gun to death.

Yoshiequipped 10-25-2006 10:51 PM

i hunt with the tried and true marlin lever action 30-30. i hunt short range over a creek so theres no need in a bigger gun, my friend shot a 6 point out of my stand and blew the whole left shoulder off, 5 minutes later another 6 walks out and i shot him with my marlin right behind the front leg and the bullet never came out but he didnt take another step he stopped in his tracks. my buddies deer ran about another 25 30 yardsand dropped.

ShadyRascal 10-26-2006 10:40 AM

Originally posted by: Yoshiequipped
i hunt with the tried and true marlin lever action 30-30. i hunt short range over a creek so theres no need in a bigger gun, my friend shot a 6 point out of my stand and blew the whole left shoulder off, 5 minutes later another 6 walks out and i shot him with my marlin right behind the front leg and the bullet never came out but he didnt take another step he stopped in his tracks. my buddies deer ran about another 25 30 yardsand dropped.
For short distance stuff like that, a good ol' thuddy-thuddy is real hard to beat. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Catterman 10-26-2006 11:21 AM

Originally posted by: ShadyRascal

Originally posted by: Yoshiequipped
For short distance stuff like that, a good ol' thuddy-thuddy is real hard to beat. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
When I was 12 I started out with the good old Marlin 30-30. I still use it for the brush today.

This afternoon I am heading out to sight in my Browning .270 WSM ShortTrac BAR [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

alleycat 10-26-2006 03:44 PM

Catterman that 270 wsm is an excellent rifle. I picked mine up last yr. also in the shorttrac Browning BAR. Being in Minnesota you know about hunting in the cold. I hunt in Northen Ontario and last yr the temp went from 2 degrees celsius and rain to -30 and lots of snow. I was always a bolt action guy so I was concerned about the sudden change in temp and being out in this the gun would freeze up. Well let me tell you 4 deer later( me and my buddy also using a browning BAR) and no problems whatso ever. Hope you have success with yours as I have with mine.