ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Hunting, Trapping, Game Management (https://atvconnection.com/forums/hunting-trapping-game-management/)
-   -   anyone get a new deer rifle? (https://atvconnection.com/forums/hunting-trapping-game-management/251903-anyone-get-new-deer-rifle.html)

weez440 10-17-2006 10:48 PM

anyone get a new deer rifle?

just had to ask i got a new savage 7mm short mag with the accutrigger with a leupold vx-l 3.5x11x50 mm and i know catterman and v2rider and gonna be going man this guy is to stoked over his new rifle but i just wanna know what everyone got. or even if you don't have a new rifle what do you use and do you hunt whitetail or mulies or elk or caribou just a fun gun thread

CaptainQuint 10-18-2006 04:35 AM

I have a new Kimber 84M Montana .308 I'm going to hunt with this year. It's stainless and has the synthetic Kevlar stock. Very lightweight rifle that comes in at about 5 pounds. I'm trying out scopes on it. Having problems finding something I like on it. The big objective scopes just aren't appropriate and wreck the handling of it. I need an illuminated reticle due to the hunting conditions during rifle season so that complicates things too. Didn't care for the Leupold that I last tried. Nice scope but just too bulky for the rifle. Have another scope to try for the next trip to the range.

By the way, does anyone have any favorite .308 loads? I haven't had a chance to do any real accuracy work with this rifle yet so I have to weed through all of the various Winchester, Remington and Federal loads to find what it likes to eat best before deer season after I settle on a scope. Some of guys are raving about the Winchester xp3 loads but I haven't shot them yet. I've usually had the best luck with Remington Core-Lokt lines or more recently their Scirocco line which one of my rifles just loved and seemed to drop the deer like someone smacked them with a sledgehammer.

Catterman 10-18-2006 11:34 AM

Your funny weez! Get a picture up of it! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

CobraR6 10-18-2006 06:30 PM

Originally posted by: CaptainQuint
I have a new Kimber 84M Montana .308 I'm going to hunt with this year. It's stainless and has the synthetic Kevlar stock. Very lightweight rifle that comes in at about 5 pounds. I'm trying out scopes on it. Having problems finding something I like on it. The big objective scopes just aren't appropriate and wreck the handling of it. I need an illuminated reticle due to the hunting conditions during rifle season so that complicates things too. Didn't care for the Leupold that I last tried. Nice scope but just too bulky for the rifle. Have another scope to try for the next trip to the range.

By the way, does anyone have any favorite .308 loads? I haven't had a chance to do any real accuracy work with this rifle yet so I have to weed through all of the various Winchester, Remington and Federal loads to find what it likes to eat best before deer season after I settle on a scope. Some of guys are raving about the Winchester xp3 loads but I haven't shot them yet. I've usually had the best luck with Remington Core-Lokt lines or more recently their Scirocco line which one of my rifles just loved and seemed to drop the deer like someone smacked them with a sledgehammer.
The Bushnell elite series has illuminated recticles. There come in the 3200 & 4200 series, and come in a number of objective and power sizes.

okiedude 10-18-2006 07:45 PM

Originally posted by: CobraR6

Originally posted by: CaptainQuint

The Bushnell elite series has illuminated recticles. There come in the 3200 & 4200 series, and come in a number of objective and power sizes.
I dont have the illuminated series(firefly), but I have 6-7 Elite scopes. I love them. Their binoculars are first class(I have 3 pair of them)

weez440 10-18-2006 09:04 PM

catterman i gotta laugh at you and pictures [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] and i will after this weekend i will take some pics of it. and i know you said you didn't like leupold captain but look at the vx-l it is a large objective scope that sits the same height as a 40 mm. but you will pay out the arse for it.

CaptainQuint 10-19-2006 05:19 AM

Yeah I'm going to take a look at those firefly scopes. This rifle is very light and has a very nice feel to it and it's really easy to mess up the handling of it with a clunky scope. I've got one more conventional illuminated reticle I want to try and then I'm going to give those firefly series scopes a shot. I really got spoiled with those types of scopes over the past couple of seasons and for our rifle season and for the particular habits of our deer and our hunting areas they are worth their weight in gold.

It's funny that okiedude mentioned binoculars. I was riding back to the house tonight and the neck strap broke on my old ancient binoculars. They hit the tank on the four wheeler and bounced onto the gravel road and skidded and bounced to a stop. They weren't armored steiners or anything just a very nice clear set of Vixens which were about 40 or 50 years old and had wonderful glass in them. I was going about 40 or so and it wasn't kind. Tore off one of the oculars and really messed up the exterior and probably did all sorts of internal damage. Made me sick. I loved those things.

Lowrangerider 10-19-2006 09:30 AM

I got a new custom pistol for hunting... It is a glock 20 but I bought a custom 6" long slide and barrel for it.
I also got a 'new' rifle from my recently past grandfather. .300 weatherby Golden Eagle with a desent scope on it. Both the pistol and rifle seem to be very accurate. Deer beware!

okiedude 10-19-2006 10:07 PM

Originally posted by: Lowrangerider
I got a new custom pistol for hunting... It is a glock 20 but I bought a custom 6" long slide and barrel for it.
I also got a 'new' rifle from my recently past grandfather. .300 weatherby Golden Eagle with a desent scope on it. Both the pistol and rifle seem to be very accurate. Deer beware!
Hey....I bought a 20 not 2 months ago. Where did you get your barrel and slide? You need to try some Double Tap ammo...it is awesome!!!!!

Captain. sorry to hear about your binos....that stinks. If you are in the market, you might consider the Elites.

CaptainQuint 10-20-2006 03:22 AM

I'll go have a look at those elites okiedude. I've got two good steiners but I've loaned them to guys going out went for elk and muley hunts and I can't very well ask for them back now. I'm going to need something for deer season. I have this sinking feeling this is how my deer season is gonna go. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]