Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Results of the 30-30 leverevolution on a Blacktail buck!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 08:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Results of the 30-30 leverevolution on a Blacktail buck!!!

Quite a while back there was some discussion on this new ammunition but very little if any feed back on how it actually works but i found out today.I had a late season tag that i was using on one of our rivers and i filled it this morning with a 3 point Blacktail and he dropped right where he stood.I have used many different calibers of high powered rifles and also blackpowder rifles as well as handguns to take deer and although the 30-30 is no powerhouse this ammunition performed very well this morning.My shot was about 70 yards and i was drifting the river watching the bank when i saw the 3 point and the good part is he fell at the shot but the bad thing is he fell into swift high water and it took almost a half mile to pull him out as he floated downriver.My shot entered the left shoulder and passed through completely to the other side and exited with a very good wound channel.My first try at pulling my deer out of the river and into my boat resulted in my pulling one of his horns off(it is that time of year)my second try i pulled the other horn off which i was able to keep but the first one went into the river.Finally i was able to pull along side him and get a rope around his neck and pull him into the boat while drifting down some fast water.As i write this it sounds pretty comical but actually with the temperature at about 20 degrees at the time and high water i feel fortunate to have retrieved my deer without getting wet.This post got a little long but the bottom line is from what i saw this morning the 30-30 Leverevolution works as advertised.

Old 01-14-2007, 11:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

Originally posted by: duneittilludie
Quite a while back there was some discussion on this new ammunition but very little if any feed back on how it actually works but i found out today.I had a late season tag that i was using on one of our rivers and i filled it this morning with a 3 point Blacktail and he dropped right where he stood.I have used many different calibers of high powered rifles and also blackpowder rifles as well as handguns to take deer and although the 30-30 is no powerhouse this ammunition performed very well this morning.My shot was about 70 yards and i was drifting the river watching the bank when i saw the 3 point and the good part is he fell at the shot but the bad thing is he fell into swift high water and it took almost a half mile to pull him out as he floated downriver.My shot entered the left shoulder and passed through completely to the other side and exited with a very good wound channel.My first try at pulling my deer out of the river and into my boat resulted in my pulling one of his horns off(it is that time of year)my second try i pulled the other horn off which i was able to keep but the first one went into the river.Finally i was able to pull along side him and get a rope around his neck and pull him into the boat while drifting down some fast water.As i write this it sounds pretty comical but actually with the temperature at about 20 degrees at the time and high water i feel fortunate to have retrieved my deer without getting wet.This post got a little long but the bottom line is from what i saw this morning the 30-30 Leverevolution works as advertised.
I suspect the fact that the buck was hit in the proper place, called skill and bullet placement, had as much to do with it as the excellent bullet Hornady is loading in the Leverevolution 30-30 ammo.

Glad you were able to get your buck into the boat, sounds like one of those things that could have gone either way.

Congratulations. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-15-2007, 12:01 AM
Pro Rider

tencubed i agree that bullet placement is always the biggest factor in harvesting your animal with efficiency but still i am very pleased and impressed with the performance i got.You are correct that this could have gone either way.I was lucky.

Old 01-15-2007, 01:26 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

When I first started reading about the new "leverevolution" I was really concerned about the pointy bullets being used in tube magazines. After doing some research and talking with some friends I have changed my opinion. I saw some results of an independent test of the bullets being fired into wet phone books and pine boards and the performance in these mediums was impressive.

From what I have seen and read in various articles the Hornady people have come up with another great bullet.

I still maintain the bullets performance is secondary to proper placement. When both are good then it's just that much better.

Old 01-19-2007, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider

I would agree with you guys on bullet placement. That is key to putting an animal down. That said It is good to hear some first hand results with this new ammo. I have heard little first hand feedback on it, but all I have heard was good. Also congratulations on your kill.

Old 01-19-2007, 09:43 PM
Pro Rider

Oh great, thanks a lot Dune. Now I have to go out and buy a 30-30. You cost me some bucks with all this lever action this, and lever action that. I'm having my wife call you for some explanation when I come home with some pre 64 model 94 because it's all your fault. Thanks a lot. Probably get chewed out and everything.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-19-2007, 10:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

Originally posted by: ShadyRascal
Oh great, thanks a lot Dune. Now I have to go out and buy a 30-30. You cost me some bucks with all this lever action this, and lever action that. I'm having my wife call you for some explanation when I come home with some pre 64 model 94 because it's all your fault. Thanks a lot. Probably get chewed out and everything.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Ummm - - - before you rush out and buy that Model 94 take a look at the Marlin site and consider the other Leverrevolution rounds that are available. I'm awaiting a stainless 450Marlin that should show up within a couple of weeks.

Not to discourage the 94 purchase cause everyone should have a least one of these classics but the Marlins are much easier to mount a scope on and the quality is very good for the price involved.

Old 01-20-2007, 12:40 AM
Pro Rider

My 30-30 is a 1954(i think) Marlin 336 and it is very accurate.I study ballistics quite a bit and on paper 30-30 ammunition in any configuration does not look impressive but the few deer i have shot with it have expired in a hurry.Shady Rascal she will get over it,my better half always does.I just purchased another gun for the collection this last weekend.I bought a Ruger Super Redhawk in 44 mag with a 9 1/2 " barrel and a 2 x Nikon scope for deer hunting.I enjoy shooting my deer with a handgun more than anything with the exception of maybe my T/C blackpowder rifle.Anyone else handgun hunt and if so with what caliber?

Old 01-20-2007, 01:06 AM
Pro Rider

Anyone else handgun hunt and if so with what caliber?
I personally do not, but i have a good friend who does. He took a buck a few years ago with his .44 mag. He now hunts with a Smith and Wesson 500 mag. I dont think he got anything with it this year, then again not too many of us got deer around here.

Old 01-20-2007, 01:54 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

My 30-30 is a 1954(i think) Marlin 336 and it is very accurate.I study ballistics quite a bit and on paper 30-30 ammunition in any configuration does not look impressive but the few deer i have shot with it have expired in a hurry.
The 30-30 was the premier deer rifle for many years. When used in a reasonable manner it kills deer size game very dead. And no matter what kind of super rifle you shoot you can't kill them any deader than dead.

One of my favorite saddle rifles for years was a '94 in Winchester 25-35. Some "expert" on the game commission decided it was to underpowered to use on deer and elk. I'm surprised those many undead animals would let me skin them all those years. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Results of the 30-30 leverevolution on a Blacktail buck!!!