Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

what type of food plot?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 11:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what type of food plot?

Around here food plots are only marginally successful. They have so much food from soybeans and corn to winter wheat in the fall that attracting them to food plots is really hit and miss. It is kinda hard to get them to come to your food plot when they're surrounded by hundreds of acres of crops. I've switched to putting out salt and mineral blocks. They seem to work better than specialized deer plots on my place. They go nuts for salt and mineral. I put out couple of mineral blocks several weeks ago and they've already chewed them up to the point that they're almost gone. When one does finally disappear they paw and dig a huge hole where it was getting at the salt or mineral. Unless it has actual grain or food in it then it isn't considered baiting here. Putting out corn or apples is considered baiting. (but hunting a cornfield or orchard isn't- go figure)

I still plant food plots for wildlife but they're not specialized for deer.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:39 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I mostly put out feed during the winter for a couple of reasons; the deer need it more - especially in a hard winter, the ground is hard enough so you can drive a truck out in the woods, there is less food available, and sugar beets are available. Bear in mind that this is in NW Mn so the weather can get pretty extreme.

Old 01-28-2008, 04:56 PM
Range Rover

I need help finding something to bring the deer in

Old 02-12-2008, 01:16 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: francis03

I need help finding something to bring the deer in</end quote></div>

Putting out anything they eat will bring them in. Make sure they have water and put out some salt and mineral blocks. Water softener or road salt works, too and is often cheaper. Other than that, a steady supply of corm, sunflowers, oats, etc...key words there was steady supply. Don't expect to put out one bag of corn a week before season and have deer running everywhere.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:31 PM
Pro Rider

We plant Abruzzia rye and winter oats,so when the freeze comes,the rye is still green and brings in the deer.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:04 PM
Pro Rider

What time of year do you plant the rye?
I planted buckwheat a few years ago. it grew well and ripened well. It's tough to say if the deer hit it or not as the seed drops once it's ripe.
They liked soy real well.
All of them are easy to grow, the clover is great, just mow it 2 or three times. It gets more full each time it's cut . The weed gets choked out then let it grow toward the end of the summer.
This coming summer will be the third season on the same planting. I think it should still hold up well.
The other plots that had the grain I'm thinking about putting in field corn and let it stand.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:01 PM
Pro Rider

We plant the fields late sep....and hope for rain...Rye does well and so does the winter oats...

Old 03-03-2008, 12:38 AM
rv
Pro Rider

up north here they seem to like pees rape and clover the best and some kind of salt mixture with minerals added for antler groth are my favorites

Old 05-03-2012, 02:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

Whitetail deer food plots are one of the keys to hold deer on your hunting land. there are many purposes for food plots and different design and layout methods depending on that purpose. Some of the main types of food plots are destination plots, travel plots, and kill plots.

Pizza Pos Software

Old 07-25-2012, 03:48 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Food plots

Food plots are used extensively by deer management groups as well as hunters. There are two types of food plots, the forage plot and the hunting plot.

pizzarias

Quick Reply: what type of food plot?