Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Opening Day of Gun Season

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 11:38 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opening Day of Gun Season

Went out today with my little brother for the first day of gun season, it was a rough day for hunting; full moon phase and winds gusting to 40 MPH all day. We walked our asses off, but finally bagged a nice, what would of been an eight point, but the right side rack had been broken off sometime while still in velvet, so it had four on one side and one on the other.

Damn, I'm out of shape, we had to drag that bugger close to two miles, through one hell of a thicket, but I always love spending time with my brother, we missed out on a lot while I was away in the military.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:39 AM
Trailblazer

Looks like you made some nice memories, and had a good time. I have another week here until I get to good. And thanks for your sacrifice, its greatly appreciated.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Nice buck regardless of the missing antler. Kind of reminds me of that movie Open Season. You can call the buck Elliot. Still, congratulations on bagging the buck. Gonna serve some venison on Thanksgiving?

Old 11-13-2011, 06:16 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
Nice buck regardless of the missing antler. Kind of reminds me of that movie Open Season. You can call the buck Elliot. Still, congratulations on bagging the buck. Gonna serve some venison on Thanksgiving?

Yeah, it looks like a little venison will be on the table this Thanks Giving. And thank you Kong, it was an honor to serve.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:13 PM
Range Rover

I forgot to mention that Bear Season runs concurrent with Deer season in the Fall around here and this is what was killed this morning, a few miles from where we killed the Buck Saturday morning. I'm cool with not having to deal with a bear while deer hunting, but it's always on the back of your mind; especially while dragging a bloody deer out of the woods at night.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by john luttrell
I forgot to mention that Bear Season runs concurrent with Deer season in the Fall around here and this is what was killed this morning, a few miles from where we killed the Buck Saturday morning. I'm cool with not having to deal with a bear while deer hunting, but it's always on the back of your mind; especially while dragging a bloody deer out of the woods at night.

Do they let you carry a sidearm there? One night when a good group of us were bowhunting I got back to camp to find one of the younger guys there. He looked kind of shaken. He had been up in a tree on the edge of a VT apple orchard and a couple black bears came out to gorge on the apples. As soon as he saw a chance he got down off his stand and ran all the way back to camp. I would have been tempted to shoot one but I wasn't there either. Bear tend to look a lot bigger in person...

Old 11-14-2011, 08:15 AM
Range Rover

Yeah, I carry a Taurus PT-840 .40 Cal on me while hunting; it holds 15 in the mag and one in the pipe.