Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

how do you carry your rifle hunting

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2001, 01:42 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone tried one of these ?
www.jsi-guns-hunting-firearm.com

Old 05-21-2001, 12:33 PM
Pro Rider

After trying rack mounted brackets and plastic cases, I decided it was easiest to simply hang it across my chest. I slip one arm through the sling so that it runs across my back from the opposite shoulder. Not only does it seem to create less shock, it also makes it easy to get to. We have many wild pigs on our lease and you never know when you might see one.

Old 05-30-2001, 05:28 PM
Pro Rider

Nope, never used one of those.
Here in Nebraska, there are very few restrictions on how you can carry your rifle on an ATV. What I found works best for me is to just carry it on a sling, with the barrell pointing up over my left shoulder & the butt behind my right hip (in front of my chest). To carry the rifle securely, you must put your head through the loop formed by the sling. To make the rifle easily accessable, use a nylon sling, and put a life-jacket style buckle on the lower part of the sling. Grab the rifle with one hand, un-do the buckle with the other, and you would be surprised how fast you can access your rifle that way. A bit of electrical tape over the end of the barrell keeps dirt, leaves, and rain out. This might not be for everyone, but it works for me.
PS keep in mind that where I live it is legal to carry a loaded gun on an ATV as long as it is NOT concealed. The game worden told me if we have what is obviously a scabbard, he doesn't consider it consealed, but not to have it in just a 'box' that could hold anything. Good luck on finding what you need.

Old 05-31-2001, 10:02 AM
Trailblazer

One year we were required to use a case and the gun was to be unloaded (chamber and clip or magazine)---This was in any kind of vehicle. Game and fish recalled this rule and I have'nt used the hard case since. I usually carry my rifle with a conventional sling in front of me cradeled in my arms unloaded. This way my arms take some of the shock when crossing obstacles instead of all of it on the little quick release studs. That sling looks good but I guess you have to order them direct. I prefer to use one of the adjustable ones that you change the length by sliding the loop up or down.

Gardner10[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-31-2001, 11:27 AM
Trailblazer

The ad on sling is adjustable and has a quick release buckle.

Old 06-01-2001, 01:23 AM
Range Rover

I ordered a Fin-Grip Pro gun rack from Cabela's and mounted it on the fron racks. Seems like it's pretty stable and has heavy rubber coating. Been pretty happy with this product-just my .02 worth!

Old 06-01-2001, 02:29 AM
Trailblazer

Did the Pack Racks but it wore markes on my rifle and the scope got banged around and had to be sighted in again. Cost me a nice buck.

Old 06-01-2001, 11:04 AM
Trailblazer

I also got the Fin grip from Cabela's, since I have alot of private land to roam I mounted these on the handle bars, less vibration there, and easy access if needed these are all rubber coated with rubber holder to keep from moving around.

Old 06-02-2001, 09:41 PM
Trailblazer

I would like to mount a mossy oak camo kolpin brand gun boot. My problem is I dont know if the mount will work with the cargo box. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 06-04-2001, 07:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

I use these things called Leg Racks. Each consists of a strap with snap buckle that goes around your thigh, attached is another strap at a 90 deg angle with a velcro fastner. After sitting on the atv, you put your gun on your lap and use the straps to attach your gun to your thighs. Works great and you can even stand up thru the rough stuff.

Quick Reply: how do you carry your rifle hunting