Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Gun Rack - which type

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2002, 01:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

First time user...

I bought a new 2002 Kodiak 4x4 back in May and love it!!
I have done lots of trail riding in the last several weeks in Haliburton, Ontario, Canada.

I'm also an avid deer hunter and hunt grouse, duck and woodcock.

My question is... what is the best type of gun rack to buy for my kodiak and how much and from where?

Friggs
02 Kodiak

Old 08-24-2002, 04:05 PM
Trailblazer

Cabela's has some dual fin grip ATV racks that look pretty nice. I think they are around $35. That is what I am going to order. I think a dual would be nice cause you could have a shotgun and a rifle. One for Coyote and one for Geese, ETC. Has anyone had any experience with the handle bar mounted racks? These look like they would get in the way.

Old 08-24-2002, 08:46 PM
Pro Rider

They do get in the way especially in tight areas. I do have one but use it when I am going thru open areas. On the way to my stand and back I have a Kolpin Gun Boot IV. At least I know my gun wont be muddy or my scope beat up and knocked around.

Old 08-25-2002, 12:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

My friend has a Kolpin Gun Boot and it's great for hauling your gun safely to and from your hunting area or tree stand. But, you have to stop and get off your ATV to access your gun.
I was looking for quick and easy access to my guns, especially, when you come across some game.

FRIGGS

Old 08-25-2002, 07:08 PM
Pro Rider

I think that the fork style gun holders are the best for quick easy acces and aren't in the way. Though the gun boots provide alot more protection and suppert for a gun.

Old 08-27-2002, 12:18 AM
Pro Rider

I had the metal/coated fork style dual rack on my big bear, worked great, except the straps tend to break after a few months. Tried the plastic racks on my new Cat 500i, they grip a bit better, but won't handle any weight. Okay for a light rifle, but I load up one of my target rifles (Anschutz 1813, Walther KK, 12-14 pounds), and the mount wiggles around a lot, looks like it may eventually break. Think I'll go back to the old metal style, they were stout. Both of these racks are cheap, $30-40.

Always mount mine fore and aft on the rear rack. If you hit any serious brush or limbs with a rifle on the handlebar, you'll either scratch up the rifle, knock the sights out of alignment, or jerk your steering, or all of the above.

--John

BTW: Good call on the Kodiak, very solid machine. I still have my 91 bear, it just won't quit.

Old 08-27-2002, 09:25 PM
Trailblazer

You want a Gun Rack, take a look at www.candssales.com they have all kinds. The handlebar type is from Savant Mfg. Savant has been around for 18 years. I know alot about this company because I own it. Let me know it this is something that will work. Also check out www.savantmfg.com

Old 08-28-2002, 03:12 AM
Range Rover

I picked up a Kolpin gun boot mounting bracket on clearance at Walmart a couple years ago for $5 if I remember correctly. It's the standard all-plastic one and I was wondering if it will accomodate the Gun Boot IV or not. ATVPartsDepot has the Gun Boot IV for $34.95 and their shipping is reasonable so if it fits my bracket I'd like to buy one. Will I have to buy a Gun Boot III or older?

Thanks,
JC

'95 Honda 300 4x4

Old 08-28-2002, 03:25 AM
Trailblazer

savanttheone

Nice Site, there are some sweet products there, you should make it so that you can do a search for your specific quad, and it will list ALL the available parts. Then put the prices on there. Again, awesome site though.

Old 08-28-2002, 07:38 AM
Trailblazer

The site is for dealers. Savant does not sale to the public. Also to the person that bought the plastic mount (if it was a Kolpin one)it will work on a gun boot IV, not on a gun boot 3.

Quick Reply: Gun Rack - which type