Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Using brown sugar as bait??

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2002, 01:52 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well where i come from the deer go crazy for the sugar beets left behind after harvest you would be surprised how many deer are actually in the area after the sugar beets are harvested it,s like a population explosion and they sure clean up the fields pretty quick o by the way brown sugar is made from sugar beets but i say mix it with water bring to a low boil slop it on the trees and watch them lick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-14-2002, 10:31 AM
Pro Rider
Default Using brown sugar as bait??

I have heard of using vanilla extract, oil of anise, and peanut butter, but never brown sugar or jello mix. Hmmm...

I tell you what I do to draw deer in year round, I dissolve several big boxes of table salt and bottles of cheap molasses into about two or three gallons of boiling water. To this I add several containers of baking powder and baking soda. Finally, I pick a good spot and rake the leaves and straw back in about a three foot diameter circle. I break the top soil up with the rake or a hoe a little until its loose and then I pour the concoction right there in the middle of it all.

In less than a week, deer usually hit that pretty regular. In fact, I have placed this mixture about fifty yards from a commercially made Deer Cocaine lick and the deer wouldn't even touch it for my homemade stuff.

From time to time, I refresh it by just pouring some new salt or molasses on the ground, but you wouldn't believe how big a hole the deer will make where I have placed that stuff. They love it!

Deer normally use salt and mineral licks more in the summer, but they will continue to use it from time to time during the winter months as well.

Try it out! It may not be the BEST attractant available, but it's cheaper and better than any commercially made stuff I've ever used.

Old 11-03-2002, 10:11 AM
Weekend Warrior

deer, like other animals, are attracted to "sweets" because of the high palitablity. they will crave salt and minerals as their body uses up stored minerals. i don't hunt but i have noticed they really seem to go for the molasis licks i use for cattle. i believe it to be the best cuz 1. molasis is sweet 2. has trace vit and minerals 3. comes in a smaller 30 lb plastic tub that will last more than the season, and afterwards the tubs always come in handy so please dont litter. 4. $20-25 at your local co-op and your set. don't mean to sound like a salesman i just hate watching my huntin buddies waste money on high price stuff. let me know how it turns out

good luck
wood

Old 11-10-2002, 07:44 AM
Trailblazer

Hello hunting buddy,
The licks work great if your going to be sitting on them and if your not and want to try something different try this.I take 35mm film canisters and add 1 used tampax,yep that's right,a tampax ( you'll need a willing donor and the look on your girls face is worth it alone) she will usually give in when you tell her how much buck lure is and how much more effective her scent is. Anyway I tie a loop in the string and hang them on low hanging branches where my stand is. I shot a nice nine point last year as he tried to engulf the bait. When your done hunting for the day pick them up and store them in your freezer.Some chicks might think your sick but when you bring home the venison,what's the saying the proof is in the pudding. Good luck!!!!
Jack

Old 11-11-2002, 12:26 AM
Range Rover

If I ever get that desperate to kill a deer, I will burn my deer stand to the ground, sell my guns at a pawn shop, and take up bowling.

Ted

Old 11-11-2002, 07:47 AM
Trailblazer

Dusty,
Got a bit of a weak stomach hey.Another thing I have used and might be less offensive to you is deer urine. Take and empty the bladder into a bottle and use the same film canisters and CLEAN tampex. If that still bothers your stomach, Take some TUMS-- -LOL-
Jack

Old 11-11-2002, 11:10 AM
Trailblazer

Jack...thats a new one by me. I think I will rely on OTHER means to attract a deer. I cant even stand her attitude during that thing, much less the...well............ you know!

Old 11-11-2002, 03:28 PM
Range Rover

Jack,

No! My stomach is okay. I guess I'm like Groucho Marx when he said he said he wouldn't belong to a club that would accept someone like him.

I don't think I want a deer that would fall for something like that. I'm just not into kinky deer.

Ted

Old 11-11-2002, 06:26 PM
Trailblazer

Dusty,
I think I know where your coming from. I'm LMAO at your description of kinky deer though. Dusty, they only one thing when they're in rut.That smell makes them make BIG mistakes that they don't normally make. I only have one question for ya. Are you the type of guy that showers with coast, shaves and puts on after shave beforeyou go in the woods? LOL . Hey anyway, good luck to ya on your hunting expedition.
Jack

Old 11-11-2002, 06:36 PM
Trailblazer

Oakie,
LMAO at the descriptive about your wife. I can relate and let me give you some more bad news, it only gets worse!!!!!! My wife is going thru the BIG change right now. Mood changes, hot flashes, cold sweats and on and on. Sometimes no matter what you do or how much you console them it's not good enough. Don't worry though,it's not a long drawn out affair. She has been going thru this for 4yrs. now so it should be ending any day now. LOL
Jack

Quick Reply: Using brown sugar as bait??