Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

anything worth braggin' over?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2002 | 04:07 PM
|
Range Rover
Default anything worth braggin' over?

I hunt mostly central, just east of norman by lake thunderbird. how about you.

Old 11-21-2002 | 10:41 PM
Pro Rider

Far eastern. Just outside of Stilwell. You think the rut is still going on? Talked to a buddy tonight that got a 11 point this morning that he said will easily make P&Y!!!!! He said this buck and most of the bucks he has seen have been chasing doe's [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-24-2002 | 12:47 AM
Trailblazer

I got a 7 point with a 12" spread that weighed 145 lbs. That is an average buck taken in Western New York with a bow. My dad got a 9 point with a 18.5" spread with the bow. It weighs 200lbs. That is a very big buck for my area.

Old 11-24-2002 | 10:28 PM
Range Rover

Just got back from a hunting trip to a lease in central texas near Brady. Had five other guys with me. We limit everyone to one eight point or better per weekend for the group. We allow 2 doe's per weekend for the group.We encourage everyone to take all the spike bucks and non typical bucks they want. Saw a few 10 point and 12 point, but no one could get close enough to bag one. Wound up taking about 8 deer for the weekend. The rut is still in full swing. The bucks were chasing the does all over the place. Probably saw 200 deer on the lease this weekend. Had hundreds of turkey available also. Most guys took two.

Ted

Old 11-27-2002 | 10:50 PM
Pro Rider

Dusty, if you EVER want a dumb ole okie down there to pick on during deer season [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] just hollar. I would sacrifice my statehood for some chances like that [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 11-30-2002 | 09:55 PM
Range Rover

Okie,

You bet! I don't know why you would want to come with me though. The hunting around Okmulgee and Beggs is still pretty good isn't it. There are a lot of leases in central Texas that produce the numbers of deer that are on our lease. They make some pretty good racks, but the deer are not that large. We have been manageing the lease for about ten years trying to improve the racks and size of the deer.

Ted

Old 12-01-2002 | 09:33 PM
Pro Rider

Dusty, I have a friend who lives in Preston (between Beggs and Okmulgee) who hunts around there. He see's alot of deer, just not good quality deer. We hunt near Stilwell and its pretty good over there, but them Indians dont know what a fence is for!!!! We run off people everday. Had one kid in a stand that we ASKED to leave. He (we thimk it was him) came back that night and tried to steal 6 of our stands. We lock em up!!!! How do you know this area?

Old 12-03-2002 | 12:50 AM
Range Rover

OkieDude,

I would guess the quality of the deer in your area is as good as the quality of the deer in the East Texas area where I live and the area around Brady in central Texas where we have a lease. I believe if you want really good deer, you either have to hunt them in the north east like Pennsylvania or New York or spend a lot of time and effort to improve the quality in a limited area. I don't know why the deer in our Oklahoma, Texas area are so small, but they are. They some times get really good racks, but still have small bodies. A few years ago, they imported a bunch of large deer that were starving to death on a golf course near Austin, Tx. into east Texas and released them. Although they were malnourished when released, they were large deer. Their genetics has improved the size of the deer in some areas of East,Texas.

I'm going to call some friends in New York tomorrow who have been hunting for the last two weeks. I beleive they usually hunt in Pennsylvania. I'm sure they got some deer, but I'm curious how large they were.

I know the area around Beggs, Okmulgee, and Tulsa because I work for a company that used to have a factory in Okmulgee and Broken Arrow, with offices in Tulsa. I've spent a lot of time around there and still have a lot of friends in the area. I'm not an Okie, but would be proud to be one. I spent 15 years in Louisiana. My friends in Louisiana call me an adopted coon ***. I guess my friends in Oklahoma can call me an adopted Okie.

Ted

Old 12-03-2002 | 04:16 PM
Pro Rider

Dusty, I agree about the size of deer. i dont know if its because it doesnt get that cold and they dont have that thick layer of fat or what. I lived in Louisiana myself. Opelousas. Dem people are weird!!!!!!!!!!!!! They will eat just about anything!!!!!!! You hear of a few good deer taken here (150-200 lbs) but very rare. I killed a nine point lsat weekend that weighed 90lbs (field dressed). Ya you can be an Okie, if I can be a Texan (lived in Amarillo)!!!!!!!!!!!! What company if you dont mind me asking?

Old 12-03-2002 | 05:18 PM
Range Rover

OkieDude,

I hereby crown you a "TEXAN". Your citizenship certificate is in the mail. When you try to cross the red river, just tell the guards that you have permission to enter Texas and you should be receiving your papers any day. I'm sure they will let you in.

Amarillo! My wife and I were born there and raised our family there. I was then exiled to Louisiana by my company. If you lived in Opelousas, that means you are a yankee. Opelousas is north of Interstate 10. The heck with the mason/dixon line. In Louisiana, you are not officially a coon *** if you don't live south of I-10. I qualified because I lived on the south side of Lake Charles.

One of my friends near Washington, Louisiana claimed to kill a 350 lb. white tail buck in the Thistlewaite National Forrest. I didn't see the deer, but I saw pictures of it. It pretty well filled up his pickup bed.

I don't want to give my company name on the internet but I will say we make big gas compressors. Shouldn't be hard to figure out.

Ted

Quick Reply: anything worth braggin' over?