Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Savage Striker pistol

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2002, 07:33 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage Striker pistol

Does any one have one and what are there likes or dislikes about it and what cliber is it. Do they have the interchangable barrel like the Contender or do you have to buy the whole assembally?

Old 12-18-2002, 08:09 AM
Pro Rider

Monte, the Striker does not have interchangable barrels like the T/C. The Striker is a bolt action, just like a rifle. Mine is in .308 with a 2-7 scope and is a lot of fun and very accurate. Take a look at 1, hold it, shoot it if possible, then make up your mind. These, like T/Cs, aren't for everyone, but are amazing in what they are capable of with proper loads.

Old 12-18-2002, 09:15 AM
Pro Rider

I have been hunting with a 357 Taurus 608SS with a 2-6 power scope on it for a couple of years and they are usaully within range but not this year, 8 out of 9 where out of my reach. So I figured on upgrading. I love the easy of the pistol to carry over a rifle on your soulder. I was just hoping to have the barrels be interchangeable. Oh well I like the bolt with the 2 more rounds idea.

Old 12-18-2002, 04:26 PM
Pro Rider

Monte, You may want to consider either a contender or an encore. Where you're hunting the T/Cs offer a better selection of calibers such as the 357 Max. That 357 mag you're using is minimum for whitetail but the max might be a good transition for you and is more capable than you are out to 200 yds. or more.

Old 12-18-2002, 11:10 PM
Trailblazer

Monte: The Savage is not bad, but it is basically just a cut down rifle with a pistol grip, albeit a left handed one. It is really pretty big. You do have three rounds, but if you do it right, you don't really need more than one. The Encore is very popular, not too expensive, and you can change calibers. Lots of people swear by them, as you can ad a lot of barrels (shotgun, rifle, blackpowder, pistol) but they are a little too big for me. (long)

I like the Competitor pistol I have. It is only 14" long overall, a single shot with a rotary cannon breach. The grip is underneath the pistol, so this cuts the overall length and improves balance. It looks like the Lone Eagle, but the Lone Eagle has an extra cocking lever and the Lone Eagle is a barreled action, so you have a grip, and when you buy extra calibers, you keep the grip and buy a new barrel and trigger assembly, I believe. With the Competitor, the trigger and action is in the grip, so once you buy that, to change calibers, all you do is buy a new barrel. (basically) It comes in calibers from .17 to .458 Winchester Mag. and everything in between. They are made in New Ipswich, NH I believe. You can get different stocks, wood or synthetic, different barrel lengths, and have the option of a muzzle brake.

I have mine in 30.06 and it is awesome! I have taken two deer with it so far, one at about 70 yards, and one at 140 yards. With 180 grain bullets, they didn't go far. I use the 180's because that is what I sighted the scope in with for elk hunting (I didn't see any for the years I hunted with the pistol) and so I used them when hunting deer. I have the muzzle brake, and I would rather shoot the 30.06 all day then shoot a box of ammo through my 6.5 in. 44 magnum! I do hunt with electronic muffs though, as the thing is really, really, loud. I have a 2x7 Burris scope, and the pistol is very accurate. I can shoot 1.5" groups at 100 yards, and I have shot 3" groups at 200 meters. I wouldn't be afraid to shoot at a deer at 300 yards with this thing if I had a good rest. I carry extra rounds in a wrist band, and can reload quite quickly.

If you are looking for a hunting pistol, there are lots of good ones out there, but for my money, the Competitor is the best. If you were close to Minnesota, I would let you shoot it. I am taking it to Texas in February where I plan on shooting a wild hog with it.

Old 12-19-2002, 06:41 AM
Pro Rider

I wish you where closer too. I have been trying to find someone around here that has one that I can try and shoot to make sure I like it before I buy one. Thanks for the input.

Old 12-19-2002, 11:10 AM
Trailblazer

It would certainly be nice to try one before you buy, but, even if you can't, I would be willing to bet you would like the Competitor. What the heck, just go for it! You can never have enough guns! By the way, the 30.06 is really impressive to shoot at night, puts out one heck of a ball of flame as you can't burn all the rifle powder in a pistol length barrel.

Old 01-02-2003, 08:09 AM
Pro Rider

I ended up buy the the TC Encore in the 7mm-08 thanks for the info. of every one who posted.

Old 01-02-2003, 08:24 AM
Pro Rider

Monte, check out www.greybeardoutdoors.com for more good info on the 7-08 and T/Cs, and shooting in general.

Old 01-02-2003, 10:39 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks I never saw that site I will be spending some time on it.

Quick Reply: Savage Striker pistol